Lagunitas Daytime IPA Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my attempt. I know many on here have said it should have Simcoe in there, but I'm not sure.

Recipe: Session IPA
Brewer: Church Creek
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.52 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 4.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 49.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 82.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
7 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 82.9 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 11.4 %
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.7 %
0.50 oz Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ) [15.50 %] - Hop 4 27.9 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 5 -
0.75 oz HBC 342 (Experimental) [12.50 %] - Boil Hop 6 16.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 4.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz HBC 342 (Experimental) [12.50 %] - Boil Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 10 -
2.00 oz HBC 342 (Experimental) [12.50 %] - Dry H Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 8 lbs 12.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 10.94 qt of water at 164.9 F 150.0 F 75 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 5.09 gal water at 168.0 F

My first post!

I'll be brewing this recipe this weekend. Just wanted to let RCorley know. Of all the speculative recipes I've come across, this sounded most accurate. I'll be modifying it slightly by brewing with Boddington's yeast. Here's to hoping!

I just dropped in the dry hop addition. Smells fantastic. Got good attenuation from the Boddington's yeast. I'm very much looking forward to this one.

Bottled RCorley's recipe last night and it's very very close as far as I can tell at this stage.

OG: 1.040
FG: 1.006
ABV: 4.42%

The HBC 342 really come alive against the Cascade. That balanced fruity herbal quality is there. I think the tropical tinge of the Citra will come through once carbed. Color seems dead-on. I'm very impressed by RCorley's recipe.

Just cracked a bottle to carb test after 2 weeks – success!

Carbed up very nicely. FG of 006 comes off refreshingly dry and crisp. Mash temp also plays into that. Hop aroma is incredible, with that 342 strawberry/watermelon leading, but it's given a nice twist by some stone fruit from the Motueka. Cascade adding some piney and CTZ bringing the bitter green tea. Very balanced and VERY VERY close to DayTime.

I'm going to do a side-by-side this weekend with some buddies for a corroborating consensus, but I can preliminarily recommend RCorley's recipe to scratch that DayTime itch!

It's worth noting that I dry-hopped with an ounce of Motueka along with RCorley's recipe because I had an open package and felt like taking a risk.

Anybody tried the Gravenstime One-hitter apple-esque beer? Its supposed to be daytime with apple juice added to it, but it almost begins to take on more sour beer flavors and qualities rather than that of an IPA. I emailed Lagunitas to see if I could get any more info about Daytime or the apple-esque.

Any update on this? Like this beer a lot after trying it for the first time. Interested in that side by side comparison.

I would like to brew this too but don't have HBC 342, what would be a good sub?
I have Galaxy, Citra, El Dorado, Mosaic, Summit, Vic Secret, Topaz, Cascade, Amarillo, Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Belma.

Edited: Now that I see HBC 342 has been described with melon/strawberry and not very offensive Belma could be the answer.
However I will only have about 1/2 once of Belma left for dry hopping after the kettle additions.

I think I will add that 1/2 ounce at flame out and dry hop with 2oz of El Dorado instead.

Or would it be better to sub the HBC completely with El Dorado?
I have enough to do that.

:mug:

Old thread, but I have been toying with this one for awhile myself.

They definitely use Centennial and Citra. They also mention aromas of gooseberry, mango, passionfruit and some pine. This would lead me to believe they might be also using some Simcoe, Nelson Sauvin and Galaxy. They also confirm that flaked oats are used to help with the body.

The grain bill above is probably somewhat close, but the OG is about 10 points too high. I'd probably cut back on the Caramel 10 a bit as well. For me at least, Caramel malts in beers this light should be used sparingly. Maybe 8oz at the most?

I fell in love with this beer when I was doing Keto. Missed beer so much and this one was only 4net carbs. If they werent so pricey I wouldve drank more but they are very tasty for only 4 Net Carbs and I think about 90 calories each -

I fell in love with this beer when I was doing Keto. Missed beer so much and this one was only 4net carbs. If they werent so pricey I wouldve drank more but they are very tasty for only 4 Net Carbs and I think about 90 calories each -

I can't handle most session IPA's. They mostly have very little in the way of flavor, and some try to overcompensate with the late hops. Founders All Day IPA to me is too in your face with the hops, making it very unbalanced and irritating. I can barely choke one down. Bell's Light Hearted Ale is just too lame for me. I seem to remember enjoying Firestone Walker's Easy Jack, but it's been awhile and I don't know if it's even still available. I don't believe that any of those are as light and low cal as Daytime, yet for me, I'll take Daytime over them any day.

Back