Primary Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamHain

Reaction score
I busted my only glass carboy. I dropped it on the cement floor in my shed it busted...Im bummed(and embarrassed).

Anyways, my recipe calls for Dry Hopping in the Secondary, well I no longer have one.

Is it ok to add the hops(pelletized) to the primary, then let it rest there for a few weeks?

Thanks!

Yes, many of us who opt for extended primaries dryhop at the end of it. Since I do most of my beers with a month long primary, I add my hops at the start of week 4, and bottle 7 days later.

Yes, that will work just fine. Put the pellets in a muslin bag or something though.

Hence why I use Buckets now; Handles and no glass;

I never use a secondary, dry hop with pellets right into the primary with pellets.

I do use a sanitized "new" womans nylon sock and tie it to the end of my racking cane hose when kegging/bottling. (personal preference on my part)

I dry hop in the primary as well. It's so much easier than dealing with a secondary. The only time I use a secondary anymore is if I plan to add fruit or if the beer needs extended aging.

And don't dry hop more than 7-10 days. A few weeks would not turn out well. I also dry hop in primary after the beer settles out well. I also put'em in hop sacks to keep things clean.

any recommendations for a newb who just dryhopped and didn't put them in a bag? I just peeked in my primary and man it's a green slimy mess on top!

any recommendations for a newb who just dryhopped and didn't put them in a bag? I just peeked in my primary and man it's a green slimy mess on top!

When I dry hop, I do what you did, then put a muslin bag over the racking cane when transferring to a keg or bottling bucket. I'd rather see all the little hop flakes mixed around in the beer, seems like you'd get more out of them than bunched in a bag, but it probably would turn out about the same I guess.

Back