Noob needing an answer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briandf21

Reaction score
I am new to this... Brewing my first batch. My wort is almost finished fermenting in the primary. It was recommended to me that I clarify the brew in a colder environment than the initial fermentation so I have my secondary set up in a colder room. I will move the primary to the same room as the secondary carboy today, but my question as actually about priming before bottling. I know I add the priming sugar to the secondary carboy right before bottling, but how do I mix the sugar into the secondary without disturbing the trub that I have waited patiently to settle? Should I clean and sanitize the primary bucket and siphon into that, then add the sugar, or is there some way to avoid getting another bucket dirty?

I will boil a few cups of water, add my priming sugar and let it dissolve. Cool it down to room temp and put it in my sanatized botteling bucket. Then rack my beer onto the priming solution and bottle from there. Anything that settled in the secondary stays in the secondary. I usually lose a cup or so.

I am new to this... Brewing my first batch. My wort is almost finished fermenting in the primary. It was recommended to me that I clarify the brew in a colder environment than the initial fermentation so I have my secondary set up in a colder room. I will move the primary to the same room as the secondary carboy today, but my question as actually about priming before bottling. I know I add the priming sugar to the secondary carboy right before bottling, but how do I mix the sugar into the secondary without disturbing the trub that I have waited patiently to settle? Should I clean and sanitize the primary bucket and siphon into that, then add the sugar, or is there some way to avoid getting another bucket dirty?

you'll find these days lots of people skip a secondary all together unless adding things or dry hopping. as far as priming your best off starting with a clean bucket. boil your sugar solution, let it cool and put it into the bucket. carefully siphon your beer off the trub and into the bottling bucket - onto the sugar solution. be careful not to splash and place the tube at the bottom of the bucket so it creates a swirling motion as it fills the bucket. this will evenly mix your priming sugar into the beer

Should I clean and sanitize the primary bucket and siphon into that, then add the sugar, or is there some way to avoid getting another bucket dirty?

Do you have a bottling bucket? Clean and sanitize that. And like the others said before, boil some water (about a cup or 2). At the last minute of the boil I put the lid on it and turn the fire off. I take the lid off and disolve my priming sugar and put the lid back on. Let that cool down to around 80F. I pour that into my bottling bucket then siphon the beer onto the sugar water. It is best NOT to stir. But it isn't the end of the world and your beer won't turn nasty. Just don't go at it like a rabbid man powered blender. A short and gentle stir is all I ever give (no faster than the original whirlpool action that you see in the beginning). I put a clean fermentor bucket lid over my bottling bucket after that and commence to bottling.

That's basically it. Just remember the rule of thumb post fermentation. Keep everything clean and if in doubt it dip it in sanitizer.

Back