New Logo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarCityBrewMaster

Reaction score
Here is the meaning and history behind my new logo.

I'm in Roanoke, VA which is called the Start City of the South. We literally have a giant star that sits on top of Mill Mountain, lights up at night and overlooks the city.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roanoke_Star

Roanoke was also once called The Big Lick
Known as the "Capital of the Blue Ridge," and a crossroads for commerce, the city of Roanoke’s history began in the 1740s. Mark Evans and Tasker Tosh came from Pennslyvania and took up land near the salt licks where Indian and animal trails crossed in the center of the valley.

For generations, those salt marshes, or licks as they were called, had been a gathering place for buffalo, elk and deer, as well as for the Indians who hunted them. The salt marshes were to lend their name to the first village in the Roanoke Valley which started on the east-west path as Gainsborough in 1834; the town soon came to be known as Big Lick.

Blues is simply because the live music scene here is big compared to other places I've been. All of the night life is made up of mostly local bands performing at any given watering hole which always makes for a good time.

All this being said here is the logo - let me know what you think! I have a very artistic friend who is going to help me make this look not so "cut and past" like and add some color............

BigLickBlues.jpg

Also has there been a general conclusion on what is the best paper to use, the best way to stick these homemade logos on your beer bottles and anything else I should know before moving forward?

Thanks!

You might want to make the "Roanoke, Va" text a little larger, so it isn't completely unreadable when you shrink the logo down.

I know you weren't asking for critiques but my first thoughts upon seeing your logo is that I would like to see the elements integrated a little better. Right now I see a star, text, text, a guitar, text.

Maybe not exactly like this (and I just used Arial as the font for placement) but trying to make it a little more cohesive . Just my 2 cents so take it for what it's worth, they were just my first impressions.

biglickbrew.jpg

Thank Thwizzit for going out of your way to make my logo look better! Mine is very basic because I have no artistic skills whatsoever it's all cut and paste for me. I do have a friend who is a professional graphic designer who has said she would work on it for me so we'll see.

The lines through the star are really for no reason at all that was more of a boredom thing I did and forgot I even did it till you pointed it out. They would have no reason for being in the final design.

Back