Next cider recipe suggestions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
Looking for something a tad different, as I've just brewed a bog-standard cider from apple concentrate. it's delish, but i'd like to try something slightly different!

any suggestions? I need to know when to add extra ingredient(s) and how much of each. I quite like winter spiced stuff, and won't mind anything fruity whatsoever :)

First I would source fresh preservative free cider from a mill. Most press all winter so it should not be hard to find. Adding up to two pounds of dark honey to a 5 gallon batch would give you some nice spice and high OG. The honey will make it finish really dry though so you could add some campden once it reaches your desired alcohol/sweetness level to stop fermentation. An Ale yeast might produce some nice fruity flavors, ask your home brew shop about a good selection for the taste you are looking for. I am new to cider so I can't really comment on spices. If you do spice I think it should be very minimal or it will over power.

From my understanding of other people Wyeast 3068 imparts a nice fruity flavor. I have a cran-apple brewing right now with it. Won't know how good it actually works out for awhile though. Also try some Light DME to change the mouth feel, maybe 1 or 2 lb for 5 gal to start. DME is a fermentable, just keep that in mind for ABV.

Back