Ale Yeast for a "Lager"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Robinson

Reaction score
I want to whip up a Victory Prima Pils clone using a partial mash but I don't have a lager setup. I searched the site and haven't found anything recent. I know it won't be pure, but what can I use by way of ale yeast to get a close approximate of the target lager?

***QUESTION UPDATE***: So I bought the ingredients for my "lager" including the German Ale yeast. In order to get the crispest, cleanest, & closest approximation of lagering, my plan is to primary until I hit 2/3rds attenuation. I will then rack to secondary and condition for about a week or until I hit my target FG/FG is stable. Then I plan on moving the carboy to the garage and holding it between 40 & 50 degrees for another week, at which point I will keg. Does this sound ok?

$1,143.74 deep and you dont have a lager setup??? Just kiddin ;)
Are you looking at using liquid yeast or dry? I recently did an oktoberfest which is a lager with WLP011 and it turned out fantastic. The european yeast really left it with a rich malty character. Go on Wyeasts site and try to find an ale yeast profile that fits what your looking for. As far as fermentation temps, try to keep it at the lower end of the yeasts range, giving it that "lager" crispness! Hope this helps.

There are some lager yeasts with the high end in the 60's- if you can keep it at that, you might be able to get by. Saflager S-23 is good up to 59°, which you might be able to pull off in your basement. Won't be the best, but it may be better than other options.

I have found US-05 to produce very lager-like results. It will ferment down to about 59*F just fine.

I've been really pleased w/ Notty fermented really cold...especially for anything you want on the drier side like a Pils. I actually brought a Munich Helles fermented w/ Notty by our local brewery and the head brewmaster was shocked at how clean it turned out.

There are some lager yeasts with the high end in the 60's- if you can keep it at that, you might be able to get by. Saflager S-23 is good up to 59°, which you might be able to pull off in your basement. Won't be the best, but it may be better than other options.

From what I've heard on podcasts and around here, it might be better to use an ale yeast at the bottom (or below) its temp range rather than a lager yeast at the top of its temp range if a clean profile is your goal.

As far as your plan to move to secondary at 2/3 of attentuation, I would think that's inviting a stuck fermentation, especailly when your yeast are not going to be all that happy to begin with operating at the lower temp. I would think a big starter, consistent cool temps, and a lagering in the primary might be a good approach.

I have not yet brewed a lager, so take my advice at your own risk;)

I agree with 2bluewagons regarding picking an ale yeast... a lot of brewers use kolsch ale yeast when they want to make a lager but don't have cool-fermentation methods.

Also, I don't think garage lagering the way you propose doing it is much of a benefit to homebrewers. Yeast produce almost all their unique flavor profiles when they're actually fermenting. To get the benefits of a lager yeast, you have to ferment at those optimum colder temperatures. Aging at cold temps will really only help in clarifying the beer quicker.

I'm also not a fan of garage fermenting for lagers, unless you're 100% positive your garage will stay within +/- 1 degree of the target fermentation temp. Yeast don't like dramatic temp changes, and continuously cooling temps can encourage the yeast to go dormant.

Back