Don't laugh- I'm listening to music!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I have people coming for next weekend for graduation. I've been painting, cleaning, rearranging both house and cottage. So, I decided to have a few beers tonight and just chill out.

I'm sort of mellow, and started with Tom Waits. Well, that led to Willie Nelson, then Patsy Cline. Now, I'm pretty happy. But listening to Patsy Cline and all the heartbreak songs made me a bit morose and even drucker than I started out. When Hank Williams starts, I guess I have to go to bed.

What else is that kind of heartbreak music?

I know how you feel about PK, and especially Hank Sr. When I picked up a 3-disc set of Sr, a few years back, I could barely make it through one disc without tears. This wore off after a couple years.

Now, when I pull out the Hank, I just can't stop listening. (I've got a vinyl habit as well as a beer habit) The CD's are in the car. When I'm driving and playing them I sign like a fool. This actually makes me feel pretty good.

Happy listening!

Good Heartbreak type music....Christy Moore, Planxty, Bill Craig. All good Irish ballads, and all about war, death, famine and long journeys...Wonderful stuff!!!! Listening to it now. Its my "home from the bar and time to chill before bed" music.

I remember one night back in Minnesota... I had just purchased a 1994 El Dorado Touring Coupe, and I had quit drinking for about 3 months (after my 2nd DWI and 30 days in jail) and lost about 70 lbs. Everything was going very well for me, and had everything to live for.

So it's 1:30 am, and I am just out for a drive...I did this a lot after I quit drinking, I didn't sleep well and it relaxed me. So I fired up the Northstar V8, let it stretch it's legs a bit and I'm cruising down country backroad highways at around 120mph, with the Bose premium sound system cranking out hard. What am I listening to? My new favourite CD.....

Hendrix Blues.

This is still one of my favourite CD's of all time.

So anyway, I roll up to stop sign at around 1:45am and there is not another soul in sight.... I suddenly feel near tears, and am overcome with sadness... It's then I realise that I am listening to the blues and zoning out..... NO WONDER I am depressed!

Hank Senior doesn't hit me so badly... I can hear and feel the sorrow, but I just don't ge emotional about it, as it just seems too far removed from my life to identify with it.

Anything Blues can set me off tho.

Yooper, I mean this purely innocently, but your husband is one lucky man... with a woman that brews beer and listens to Tom Waits!

Buddy Guy's "Sweet Tea" album fills me with an achey yearning inside, but for absolute sorrow, in general, the cello can't be beat. Listen to some Yo Yo-Ma and try to keep your eyes dry...I can only listen to a little bit before it seems like my actual heart itself starts to hurt.

Back