Dumped a batch of beer a few days ago. It felt....good.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ICWiener

Reaction score
I know, I know...never dump your beer. I just wanted to say that for me, this time...it felt good. I brewed a gluten free stout and it was awful. I have been sitting on it for 8 months and it hadn't even begun to approach something drinkable. Astringent, harsh, just flat out no good.

I haven't dumped a batch in years, and I'll be honest, there were one or two in there that I probably should have. I sit on them and I wait, and every time I go back to open one I have that sliver of hope that always gives way to disappointment. Brewing shouldn't be aggravating. So, I'm just saying...dumping is not always a bad thing.

Peter Bouckaert said it best, “If you want to be good, you're going to have to dump some beer.”

How about it? Are you the type that will gladly free up the space and dump a bad beer or do you sit on it for a year, waiting for it to heal up?

I have dumped 3 batches this year thanks to a contamination issue that persisted.

Total dump was 15bbl, but it taught me a few things and I moved forward from there...haven't dumped a batch since.

probably just jinxed myself though

I have one right now that needs to go. It's a Wit that the corriander is just too strong. However, I just can't bring myself to do it. I keep it in the kegerater and every couple months try it again, like you, hoping that the overpowering pepper flavor has magically mellowed and become tollerable. One of these days there won't be any extra room and that keg is going straight down the drain.

One of these days there won't be any extra room and that keg is going straight down the drain.

Haha, that's what I'm talking about. The GF stout that I made was occupying a case of Grolsch bottles that I needed (for a high CO2 beer). That was the straw that sent it down the drain.

I've dumped two batches recently due to chlorine contamination. Really undrinkable... Kept them around long enough to know it wasn't something maturity would fix and then dumped it. Chalked it up to a hard lesson learned and moved along.

I have had one batch, total experiment, that wasnt good. Luckily I know a few distillers. In the end it wasn't beer, but it was some very good clean drinking alcohol.

I've had one batch I've dumped because it totally sucked.... my first lager, a Schwarzbier. I've dumped some of many batches I've had, though. Sometimes they were good, but I just got tired of drinking them. I'm only set up to brew one batch at a time, so it had more to do with me wanting to get started on another batch.

I've dumped two batches recently due to chlorine contamination. Really undrinkable... Kept them around long enough to know it wasn't something maturity would fix and then dumped it.

See, that's interesting. I had a batch with that problem back in January, it was the first time I'd ever had that happen. The beer tasted like a plastic bucket. But it faded out really quickly. It was fine after about a month in the bottle. I guess no two beers are alike.

I am dumping my first batch this weekend. I can't get past the burn and alcohol taste. Literally feels like heartburn. Don't know if it was contaminated or what. I used to just give out "bad brew" when I bottled but since switching to kegs, this will be the first DUMP. Hi, my name is James and I dump my bad beer.
<applause>

I am dumping my first batch this weekend. I can't get past the burn and alcohol taste. Literally feels like heartburn. Don't know if it was contaminated or what. I used to just give out "bad brew" when I bottled but since switching to kegs, this will be the first DUMP. Hi, my name is James and I dump my bad beer.
<applause>

That happened to me once. English pale ale. It over fermented somehow, from 1.064 to about 1.007. It was supposed to finish up around 1.015. Very alcoholic, and it ruined the flavor. If there would have been more hops it could have worked, but I just couldn't stomach the batch. I gave most of it away.

The last batch that I wanted to dump was a Porter that didn't come well at all, to me anyway. I have a friend that is a heavy "Smokeless Tobacco" user and really doesn't have any taste buds to speak of and he thought it was great or maybe is was the free beer. Haven't dumped a batch in 4 years.

Knock on wood!!!!

Of the 100-ish brews I've done since starting this fair hobby, I've dumped two. One was intentional, the other only somewhat so.

I dumped my tripel after letting it ride for a year. A month ago it still tasted of DMS and solvent, so down the drain it went.

I had also entertained the idea of dumping a purported Orval clone that tasted WAY too much like a barnyard. But then a bottle exploded and, mercifully, set off a chain reaction of all the other bottles in the case, so my decision was made for me.

Switched to an electric e-keggle two months ago. Awesome I must say. However, got lazy and didnt clean the elements. My Samual Smith Winter Welcome tasted literally like a liquid ashtray. Dumped the whole thing after 3 weeks of fermenting. The taste was not going anywhere. Awful, but lessoned learned.

I have dumped 3 batches this year thanks to a contamination issue that persisted.

Total dump was 15bbl, but it taught me a few things and I moved forward from there...haven't dumped a batch since.

probably just jinxed myself though

Wait...you dumped 465 gallons of beer? :mad:

I had also entertained the idea of dumping a purported Orval clone that tasted WAY too much like a barnyard. But then a bottle exploded and, mercifully, set off a chain reaction of all the other bottles in the case, so my decision was made for me.

Oh yeah, in the words of my fiancee, "that was the worst beer I've had that you've made." :)

Sitting on a wee heavy that resembles everclear more than beer. I have never dumped a batch before, but I feel like this will be my first.....

I just hate having a keg taken up when I could have something that tastes good on tap.....

Back