WTF?? Carboy Self-Destructs???? No Help from Me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wish i had a 2-gallon stainless steel fermenter!Id be all about it. Now im thinking why not a pot?

I have a 3.875 gallon sanke keg that would do the trick... :D I also have two 2.5 gallon corny kegs that could be easily shifted to fermenting duty (I have one corny keg fermenter lid currently). :rockin: Even a 1/6bbl keg would do the job. Sure, it will be under 1/2 capacity, but it would still do the job.

I make 4-4.25 gallon batches in the 1/6 bbl kegs. the smaller sanke keg has a batch aging in it now. Not sure if I'll ferment in it when that batch is finally out of it. It IS a great size for aging just under 4 gallons in. :rockin:

A great cheap fermenter is a corney keg but only 4 gallon for ales. Larger you can do 5. But a Stout Conical is the best one. I have 2. I have broken 2 hydrometers and 4 glass carboys. One did it on its own empty.

I have 5 glass carboys. I'm not gonna lie. I get very cautious around them ever since I broke one of them. I happened to be incredibly stupid and picked it up to swirl around some star san. It slipped out of my hands and smashed all over the kitchen. Luckily I was not injured. I still use the carboys but I'm definitely a lot more careful with them. I also find that the times I handle them are usually times when I've had a couple of drinks (kicked a keg, racked a new one have to clean the carboy blahblah). They're definitely weapons in the wrong hands.

Back