why use keggles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Expensive? Mine was free.. Cut hole in top. Profit.

Personal preference. I enjoyed the hell out if building mine, a keg holds 15.5 gallons of wort, I can now do 10 gallon batches. Only cost about $160 to build a stainless BK with 3 piece valve, stainless dip tube/stainless compression fitting, and sight glass.

All in all, I thought it was a pretty sweet deal. Took a little time to shine it up, but well worth it as far as im concerned. I dont think that you can come close to that price with a 15 gallon SS kitchen kettle with all the fittings listed above for that price, but I could be wrong...

I paid 60 bucks for my keg (few and far between around here, so pretty reasonable in my eyes)

My keg was $20, taller than wide, looks cool, can take a beating, easily replaceable.

why does everyone want to convert kegs into brew kettles? it seems expensive and you could just easily buy one of these

http://www.hotelrestaurantsupply.com/WNC-SST-60.html
60 qt SS stock pot for $120 bucks.. heck you can even get aluminum ones cheaper for just a HLT.

maybe its a dumb question... if so i'm sorry,lol

$120.00 is a lot of money! I have about $50.00 into my keggle which has a DIY filtered pick up tube. I don't have a sight glass or thermostat intalled yet, but even when I do it still won't cost me that much... Plus like mccumath said it was fun as hell to build. I think what it boils down to is some people love DIY and some people don't!

My keg was $20, taller than wide, looks cool, can take a beating, easily replaceable.

i cant find a cheap keg to save my life! i see prices online upwards of $140 not even a hole cut in the top!... i don't know how you guys find these deals. i could see $20 being worth the effort.

i cant find a cheap keg to save my life! i see prices online upwards of $140 not even a hole cut in the top!... i don't know how you guys find these deals. i could see $20 being worth the effort.

Specs sold me mine as "damaged goods" for $30.00

I am going to have less than 40 in mine complete with plumbing. Thanks to friends with skills and collections of tools and hardware

Scrap yard deal for me. $22 each…
bought 2, cut a hole in the top, cost is still $22.

I sat watching craigslist forever, couldn't find one.
Finally posted a WTB for kegs, got 2 within a week.

This. Worked like a charm for me. Same exact scenario. One guy had 6 sitting at his house - I think he was 19.

Honestly, stealing kegs is illegal, but if someone comes to your door to find out why you have a 3 tier sytem with keggles, I don't think "I bought them online" is going to cut it either.... but really, who is ever going to come to your door?

We wrote A Busch to see if the would donate kegs for our Physical Training, we planned to fill them with stones and sand. They sent us several decomissioned kegs, more than we needed for exercise, so i scooped up the extras.

Keggles are great for electric brewing if you cut the bottoms off and bottom drain with them upside down. Mine cost $40 on CL.

Give a call to a few beer shops around that sell kegs... Ask if they have any "damaged" ones.. Tell them you are a homebrewer... 30.00 a piece for me in my area.... Usually they are pretty cool people...

We wrote A Busch to see if the would donate kegs for our Physical Training, we planned to fill them with stones and sand. They sent us several decomissioned kegs, more than we needed for exercise, so i scooped up the extras.

That is awesome. I have one that I got years ago from a homebrew club, but the club can't get them any more and I wouldn't mind getting one or two more. My conscience will only allow me to get them legally.

HawkATP said:
Keggles are great for electric brewing if you cut the bottoms off and bottom drain with them upside down. Mine cost $40 on CL.

Wait....what?

lud said:
Wait....what?

Cut the bottom of the keg out instead of the top, and use the preexisting hole for the tap as a drain. No dead space.

remove the spear, install a drain.
turn keg over
cut out bottom of the keg
use as normal.

It really just saves you adding 1 weld/weldless fitting for the drain

id like to see a pic of that

Here is one, albeit not a great one.

Inverted Mash Tun Drain.jpg

If I were starting over, I would have done as follows above. Bottom draining from the existing opening is brilliant to say the least. I had seen people doing this 2 years ago, unfortunately, it was just after I cut the tops off my kegs. Best of luck.

In all the pics I've seen over the years, I've never seen what you speak of....it does seem doable...and I am in no way doubting you...

I don't think its a dumb question...to the folks who think it is, sorry to waste your valuable time. I know how important your time is....being so intelligent as you are.
OP...I like using Sanke's primarily because of cost. If I ever find a kettle that is similar in cost, and as durable, then yes I would purchase.

I think he meant that he "thirded" the question, being that he was also trying to figure out the answer... at least that was the way I read it. I like the idea, but dont have any dead space with my dip tube.

Look at used restaurant supply stores. I found a couple in my area that had a few kegs. They were selling them for $40, but you could probably talk them down to $30

this bottom drain stuff seems like it would be a good idea for me.. there isn't natural gas in my house so converting to electric would make sense. i don't like standing outside in the middle of winter to boil some wort, lol.

Back