wtf? only had two beers but the bottles are talking to me??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
Okay, so I am in the process of bottling my steam beer that has had so many problems.

I usually fill and set the caps on then crimp at the end or after a bunch are filled. So, here I am filling and I hear something. The filled bottles, they are trying to tell me something!!! :drunk:

Well, okay maybe not. But they are bubbling?! Yes, I am sure it is done fermenting. It was steady at 1.008 after several readings one month ago when I put it in he fridge to clear. It is clear now and as good as it is ever going to taste (not great) but I checked it one more time. I warmed a sample to 60° F, because it is still quite cold 35° F or so, and I got 1.008 again.

There they are though. Caps keep bubbling out gas. Kind of afraid to crimp. Very strange... Maybe it is the cold. Time will tell.

Always a new experience it seems. :D

Your probably dealing with CO2 coming out of suspension. Any fermentation that happened while it was cold allowed more CO2 to remain in the beer since it dissolves easier at colder temps.

You have it down to 35, but when you drop it into the bottle it starts warming considerably and the CO2 comes rushing out.

I had this happen to my stout, but I was extremely curious since when I started bottling it the beer was room temp, and had been throughout fermentation. I was bottling into room temp bottles, but it was foamy as heck. Probably could have chilled it and served it perfectly around 50 degrees straight from the carboy!

ah that makes sense.

And I listened so closely too. I thought they were telling me to have another beer! :D

Apparently Bass bottles do not work well for reuse. I have now sealed them all but I still hear gas escaping from the bass bottles. They do not look perfectly sealed. Guess I will quickly sanitze some regular bottles and "rebottle"

knights of Gambrinus said:
ah that makes sense.

And I listened so closely too. I thought they were telling me to have another beer! :D

Apparently Bass bottles do not work well for reuse. I have now sealed them all but I still hear gas escaping from the bass bottles. They do not look perfectly sealed. Guess I will quickly sanitze some regular bottles and "rebottle"

What type of capper are you using?

The cappers that grab the neck don't work on those bottles. Benchtop capper cures that.

oh... and they were telling you to drink another beer. Only it was in german. at a low level frequency. sent through the miniature beer gnomes in Edwort's army.

it's all in his master plan, you see. :D

drouillp said:
oh... and they were telling you to drink another beer. Only it was in german. at a low level frequency. sent through the miniature beer gnomes in Edwort's army.

oh, good. Guess I understand German at some levels because I obeyed! :drunk:

and then some... :drunk:

Yeah, I have a wing capper. Stupid thing is a guy I use to work with gave me an old bench capper and I gave it back cause I had trouble figuring it out. DOH!!!

Guess I better see if he is willing to sell it to me now. I have some other odd bottles (like Hobgoblins) that would probably work with a bench capper.

well, got some "regular bottles" sanitized. Guess I get the old funnel sanitized now as it seems rather nuts to pour back into the bottling bucket just to "re-bottle" 12.

Damn, wish I had that bench capper. :(

I thought it was crap when I was first starting out... Oh so blind!

ah, feck it. Not even sure this is going to end up all that good. If 12 are flat, so be it. Just hope the rest do not explode... :cross:

drouillp said:

At least they weren't talking about some sort of 'final solution', as it were. Well, maybe in this case they were talking about solution meaning like sugar mixed with beer....

Another wonderful use for a CO2 system. Ya could just dump 12 beers in a corny and gas 'em, steada pouring them out, or screwing with trying to reprime and recap.

SO, there's no acid available?

Back