Need help w/ IBU's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shibbypwn

Reaction score
I'm brewing my 3rd batch- a black IIPA. Here's the recipe:

13 lbs. Light LME
.75 lbs. Carafa III
.75 lbs. Crystal 80L
.5 lbs. Biscuit Malt

60min - 2oz Warrior (16%AA)

Safale-US05, double pitching w/ yeast nutrient

.5oz of Centennial, Columbus, and Citra at 15 minutes, and again at 5.

So, here's my problem

I'm using a 20qt saucepan, so a full boil seems out of the question, and from what I've been able to gather from the forums so far, a partial boil is not so bueno for IPAs/IIPAs on account of poor hop utilization, wort density, etc.

So...what are my options? Obviously (and ideally) get a bigger brewpot (which may happen soon).

But in the meantime, I've read a little bit about "late addition" with the LME. How does this work? Do I add all of the LME late? How late? Etc.

Also, are there any other options? Split boil perhaps? Can I simply use more hops? (Not ideal, but cheaper than a new brew pot right now)

Any help would be much appreciated. Also, feel free to critique the recipe :fro:

Yeah, get a bigger pot or make smaller beers ;-)

You are going to have to do a partial boil. But you can boil just a fraction of the LME with the hops for the full time and then add the rest in the last five minutes. You could also get two pots, and boil some of the LME and water in the second pot without hops, or with some of the hops.

It has been awhile since I used extracts, but could you substitute DME for LME to save liquid space?

Just do a partial boil. Start off with 2-3 gallons (or how ever much your pot will comfortably hold plus extract). Once it starts to boil, add half of your extract and follow hop schedule. With 15 minutes left, add rest of extract. Once cooled down, top off to make 5 gallons.

How much hop utilization will I get using this method? Or put another way, how much in terms of IBU's do I lose this way?

Should I use additional hops to compensate?

I'd brew as is and taste it. In a 5 gallon brew pot (20 qt) I usually do a 3-3.5 gallon boil. Let the hops swim free and don't use a hop bag. (pellets or leaf?) you'll loose some utilization but to tell you the truth I did quick calc on www.tastybrew.com (subbed simcoe for citra as they don't have citra listed yet) and your at:

For a 3 gallon boil and a 5.5 gallon batch
OG 1.069
FG 1.017
IBU 151
SRM 32
ABV 6.7

(may need to back water down to get everything to fit). If you come close to overfilling do a separate pot with left over and boil, then add to bucket when racking to fermenter. consider it a late addition of LME

I've heard the human taste buds blow out at 100 IBU so I wouldn't be worried too much about it.

topping off with the extra water I come up at about 133 IBUs still WAY above the 100 IBU mark by quite a bit.

tastybrew.com is a good free tool if you work it a bit. found difference by doing a 6.5 gallon 60min boil gave the 133 number (just an approximation but get's you close since your so high any way) other pay calcs may get you closer.

hope this helps.

Back