Hop schedule suggestions for Amarillo SMASH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJSkypala

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am gonna do either a vienna or munich SMASH with amarillo hops. I'd like it to be pretty hoppy. I will be using 10lbs of grain for a 5.5gal recipe.

I was thinking of this:

1oz@FWH
.5oz@20min
.25oz@10min
.25oz@5min
1oz@dry hop in keg

Do you think there are enough late additions?

If it were me, I'd move that entire FWH addition to 20 min. Maybe the 5 min, too. You'll be getting enough aroma from your dry hopping to where that 5 min won't do much. Put it in at 20 and pull more flavor outta those suckers!

Do you know the AA rating on your Amarillo?? .5 oz may be enough, you don't have a lot flavors there to balance out with bittering.

.5 oz @ 60
1.5 oz @ 20
1 oz @ Dryhop

That's what I would do , at least. Your original schedule will make great beer too, I'm sure - smashes are pretty hard to mess up.

I did a 5 gallon recipe with 12 lbs 2 Row, and my schedule was:

1 oz 9.4 @ 60 mins
1 oz @ 20 mins
1 oz @ 15 mins
1 oz @ 10 mins
1 oz @ 5 mins
1 oz @ flameout

2 oz @ secondary

It turned out awesome!!!! I used US-05

do vienna, not munich. munich is a bit too malty for amarillo in my opinion. I did a good munich smash with chinook, the spiciness of the chinook meshed well with the maltiness.

For your FWH/late addition combo, I think even a small amount (half oz) at 60 helps out a lot. I know you want all hop flavor, but a 60 minute addition helps give ur beer a good hop backbone. I've done the "no 60 min addition" thing and I thought the hop character was weak, and didn't age well with the beer.

I did a maris otter/amarillo SMaSH. Drinking it at this moment, as a matter of fact!

I toasted 2 pounds of MO, and used 9 pounds of untoasted MO.

For hopping, I did:

1.00 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] (FWH) Hops 34 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] (15 min) Hops 7.7 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] (5 min) Hops 3.1 IBU

1.00 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops

That was perfect!

Just picked up a 10lb bag of Vienna, also gonna use .5lb carapils for some color/flavor/foam. Gonna take all of this into consideration, thanks for all your help.

Does 152F seem like a good mash temp?

152 is a good mash temp. It will finish somewhat dry, and have some unfermentables to have some good malty flavor too!

I know someone else mentioned FWH as a replacement for 20 minute hops- I don't agree. My feeling is that FWH provides slightly more bitterness than a 60 minute addition. So, if you're happy with the amount of bitterness you'll be getting with 1 ounce at 60 minutes (basically), then that's fine.

I do a recipe with all Amarillo's I call Triple Threat.(Three malts @3lbs each, easy to remember)

3# 2-row
3# Vienna
3# Munich
.5# Crystal 10L
.5# Carapils

.5 oz(9.3AA) Amarillo @ 60
3 oz (9.3AA) Amarillo @ 15

I use Notty or US-05, whichever I have on hand. Mash at 152°F/60mTT
Sometimes I sparge with half gallon less water and boil for 90 min to make a 4 gal batch, and dryhop with 2 oz Amarillo if the mood strikes me for a little stronger ale

alright, about to brew this, this is what im gonna do:

.5oz@FWH
.5oz@60min
1.5oz@20 min
1.5oz@ dry hop

It's kind of "weird" to me to have 1.5 ounces at 20 minutes and have no aroma additions at least. That's fine if that's what you want, but I'd probably change it up. You could do an ounce at 20, an ounce at 5 (or even 0) and then an ounce for dryhopping. I wouldn't leave out the late addition and use that much for flavor.

Anyway, amarillo hops are great so I'm sure it'll be drinkable anyway.

Alright. Haven't got it on boil yet.

Will do this then:

.5oz@FWH
.5oz@60min
1oz@20min
1oz@5min

1oz dry hop

Alright. Haven't got it on boil yet.

Will do this then:

.5oz@FWH
.5oz@60min
1oz@20min
1oz@5min

1oz dry hop

Sorry to be so nitpicky! I just LOVE having one addition at 5 minutes or less. IMHO, it's needed in a beer with that much bittering and flavor. (If you don't like it, though- please don't blame me! :D)

Brewed this yesterday. Smelled and looked wonderful but my OG came out a little high (around 1.060 for 5.5 gallons) The barley crusher is crazy and puts my efficiency in the 90% range.

I just hope its hoppy enough, hopefully the dry hops give it an extra kick.

Might do another vienna smash with a higher alpha hop, I just love the impression I was getting from the vienna as a base grain. Might add a pound of rye also.

Just tasted a hydrometer sample 7 days after brewing. Gravity is at about 1.012 and the flavor is amazing. Can't wait to see how this turns out after dry hopping and sitting in the keg for a bit.

Back