how long can i leave it in the primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jchobs

Reaction score
Hey guys this is my second batch so far its a dutch larger i used malt extract and dextrose plus a couple of extra cups to bump up the alcohol, im not using a secondary so how long can i primary before i will get any off flavors.
Thanks

Look around on here and you will see a growing movement of folks you don't use secondary at all and leave their beer in the primary for 4 weeks or more.

I've left an ale in primary for a month and a half before. One of my best.

Generally I'm a 4-6 week in primary but I've gone for 3 months and the beer turned out great. We've had some folks leave it in primary for longer than that and it turned out fine. It takes many, many months before you get off flavors. In fact, leaving it for several weeks on the yeast cake removes many off flavors.

I just bottled a Dunkelweizen this weekend that sat on yeast for 7 weeks and the samples all tasted great. It was the cleanest and crispest hydro sample I have tasted to date. Hope the bottles are as good in a few weeks.

thanx guys thats put my mind at ease to just leave it alone for a while

Back