Measurements of a 7.5gal glass carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedIrocZ-28

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Trying to figure this out because I bought what were supposed to be 6 or 6.5gal glass carboys from a buddy of mine. Two days ago I brewed up a 5gal batch of Oatmeal Stout and I dumped it in the glass carboy only to have a HUGE amount of headspace. I was expecting to be a little bit under the spot where the glass begins to curve but I was way way under, and I am certain it was the full 5 gallons. My 5 gallon pot was full to the brim.

Anyone have the height measurements and diameter for the 7.gal?

Yes I do, but you're in Corpus Christie, TX. A scant 2000 miles away and I don't think it'll reach. And I am 25 miles from home for 7 more hours, so I can't exactly go figuring out the volume of a cylinder from here.

I've never seen a 7.5 gallon carboy, but I just measured a 6.5 gallon one for someone else and it was 12" diameter and something like 20.5" - 21" high

I think that's probably a 6.5 gallon fermenter. I have one and just a 5 gallon batch looks rididulous in there. The 5 gallon mark is about 2-3 inches below even the shoulder of the carboy.

I think that's probably a 6.5 gallon fermenter. I have one and just a 5 gallon batch looks rididulous in there. The 5 gallon mark is about 2-3 inches below even the shoulder of the carboy.

The Krausen on my beer thats in there now is a good 2" thick and even that is a good 2-3" shy of the shoulder. I think I will take the other one I have and a gallon jug of water to it when I get home later. I am really seriously thinking about making 6 gallon batches if I can get away with it in these things.

If I had to make a guess I would say that these things are nearing 16" wide and about 21" high. They dwarf the 5gal carboy that came in my equipment kit.

The Krausen on my beer thats in there now is a good 2" thick and even that is a good 2-3" shy of the shoulder. I think I will take the other one I have and a gallon jug of water to it when I get home later. I am really seriously thinking about making 6 gallon batches if I can get away with it in these things.

If I had to make a guess I would say that these things are nearing 16" wide and about 21" high. They dwarf the 5gal carboy that came in my equipment kit.

Well dang...that is a gigantic carboy! My 6.5 gallon fermenters still fit inside a 13x13" milk crate so nowhere near that big. I think we need pics of this freakishly large piece of homebrewing equipment!

Well dang...that is a gigantic carboy! My 6.5 gallon fermenters still fit inside a 13x13" milk crate so nowhere near that big. I think we need pics of this freakishly large piece of homebrewing equipment!

I'll try to get up some pics when I get home next to a 5gal. I may be totally wrong here. I even triple checked after I poured the wort into the fermenter that my pots were in fact 5 gallons.

The markings on the bottom of them say " 2002 " could be the year of manufacture, could be a casting number. Anyone?

I remember reading a post somewhere (maybe on here) that someone measured out their 6.5 gallon carboy and got something like 7.25 gallons in it all the way to the top.

I know I've racked a 6.5 gal carboy filled to the "shoulder" into a 5 gal corney keg and 4 22 oz bottles and there was something like 1-1.5" of trub at the bottom and there was still probably enough beer in there to fill another 22oz or at least a 12oz left.

I suspect you have a 6.5 gallon carboy

This is interesting HUGE 7.5 (7 1/2) Gallon Glass Carboy BIG LARGE Bottle - eBay (item 300293412874 end time Mar-14-09 09:14:56 PDT)

That says I likely have a 7.5gal... 12" wide though, I guess I could be off in my estimate. Well, time will tell... and a 1 gallon jug.

Those are the exact dimensions of my 6.5g carboy. I'm sure the actual total volume of the carboy on ebay is close to 7.5 gallons, but I think the volume on carboys is considered net. At least, on the bottom of my 6.5 gallon IIRC it said 6.5g net.

2002 is the year of manufacture. The only way to really tell how big it is is to measure the volume of water going into it.

I'd put money on it being the 6.5 gallon carboy that everybody knows and loves. I've never measured mine out, but recall someone else saying they can get at least 7 gallons in one.

Haha, haven't gotten any pictures yet, sorry guys, but I did take some measurements. Its 12-13" wide and its 20.5" tall. The 5 gallons of beer in there come to 3" below the shoulder, and the shoulder is 12" from the base. Therefore there is 9" of height to 5 gallons, or just shy of 2" per gallon. That tells me that I could fit 6.5 gallons in and be just under the shoulder. So, either fermenters are measured such that the gallon measurement is obtained from how much liquid it takes to come to the shoulder, OR its a 7.5gal fermenter with the shoulder-up space taking 1 more gallon of liquid. I would believe its the former, and its a 6.5 because there would be no point to filling it up to the neck. Logically, a 6.5gal fermenter would ferment 6.5 gallons of liquid with headspace for the ferment not counted in the capacity of the vessel.

So, for future reference, a 6.5gal fermenter is about 12.5" wide and 20.5" tall.

What threw me was that I thought the 5gal carboys were 12" at the base, they are not. They are actually closer to 9.5" diameter at the base, as I measured one sitting next to it to come up with the measurements.

Back