Magical 5LB CO2 tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiskeySam

Reaction score
I've had one tank of CO2 last me since last May. Seriously. I've dispensed 5, almost 6 5 gallon kegs with this one tank. Including the "push out" of sanitizer / PBW.

I've had a standby tank on hand for literally months now waiting for this tank to crap out. It won't. It's a magical tank of CO2. :rockin:

Sorry to bust your bubble, but 5 or 6 batches does not qualify as magical. Granted you're using gas for cleaning as well, but I normally get 10-12 kegs out of a 5 lb tank using it for only carbing and dispensing.

Yeah I saw a chart somewhere that says how many corneys you can push with each tank size. It's pretty crazy.

With the amount of beer I make I inevitably lose a tank to a faulty poppet or some other silly thing. I'm pretty careful with checking kegs and lines over but it still happens occasionally. I have three 20 pounders and a ten pounder so there's always at least a backup. I purge carboys and kegs with CO2 before racking into them so the spares are nice to have around.

My gauge has read "buy more gas" for months now. At least for 5 kegs. Keg lube (food grade silicone) I believe helps a lot.

My gauge has read "buy more gas" for months now. At least for 5 kegs. Keg lube (food grade silicone) I believe helps a lot.

That's funny. Mine does the same thing. It starts to get down there and you're waiting to pounce and it just keeps pouring beer. Funny thing is though, it always runs out first pour Friday evening.

I usually get about 4 kegs from a 20oz(1.25lb) paintball tank
My son doesn't brew, but is building a kegerator to have commercial beer on tap and the occasional keg I bring down when I visit. For Christmas I ordered him the KegConnection kit that uses the 20oz tanks. For only pushing beer that's already carbonated it'll last a long time and they're easy to fill at sporting goods stores.

Back