A night of brewing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JebCkr

Reaction score
So, me and my roommate have been getting to some brewing the past few hours. First, I put together a 3 gallon batch of edwort's apfelwein.

Second, my roommates 5 gallon batch of Cascade Amber Ale. It went ok. There was a slight boil over, but nothing to worry about. The biggest problem with this batch was when putting the top on the brew bucket...the O-ring popped out into the wort (when putting the airlock on). Soooo, you guessed it. He had to reach in and get it (there was no other O-ring, so it was a must have. Other than that it looks good. LHBS said it should resemble Siera Nevada.

Lastly, and at this point I'm fairly druck... I maid my Cahaba River Wheat. Boiled it over a bit, just because I erm...stopped paying attention for a bit. Other than that, went off without a hitch.

All in all, a good brew night. Being fairly new to brewing beer, I'm pretty excited. Think my roommates brew will be ok since he put his arm in the wort? (he ran it under hot water before putting it in.)

Any how...CHEERS :mug:

I'm guessing it will be fine.

Next time, keep a 5 gallon bucket full of sanitizer. Stick your arm in the sanitizer rather than hot water. Or better yet, sanitize a long spoon and go fishing.

Same exact think happened to me today. I had some sanitizer left so I dipped my arm then reached in. Should be fine tho

Must be a good night for brewing - just put my very first into the primary.

Had a similar issue with having to put hand into cooled wort - the airlock cap had lodged itself in the funnel during sanitation (didn't see it lodged in there - rookie mistake :p). Had to reach in to figure out why the funnel wasn't draining into the primary - luckily I had sanitizing solution still so i dipped my hand into it before reaching into the funnel and finding the cap.

Hope it will be OK, but no matter - this is still exhilarating to have my first brew day (or night in this case) under my belt. :D

Back