Recommendations for DIY electric texts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i've been planning on going all electric in the near future and i've read most of the posts regarding all this stuff but i don't feel like i have a good enough grasp on the details. i read a lot of these posts about amps and watts and voltage and they sort of make my head hurt. don't get me wrong, i'm not a complete idiot! i'm very proficient at basic wiring, i know the difference between 120V and 240V and i understand the basic requirements for wiring each. i just don't understand the details that are being discussed, especially in posts like this. anyway, what i'm looking for is a recommendation for a book that will help me learn this stuff, at least enough so that i'll feel comfortable following the designs and ideas posted here without worrying about cooking myself.

TIA! i can't wait to start posting my own electric build thread!

I would recommend a book from the library that you can undrstand. Lots of books out there, but if you cant understand it, whats the point...me personally I like pics.

"Wiring a House" by Rex Caldwell and "Electrical Wiring: Residential" by Ray Mullin. Both are available at Amazon.

On a side, we run an electrical contracting company and I see plenty of scary stuff out there. The worst are the ones that know just enough to be dangerous, and I've seen some pretty sh*Tty electrical advice on this site. Good luck and be safe.

Sparky.

thanks sparky. i suppose i'd put myself in the category of knowing just enough to be dangerous, but the difference is that i know when i don't know enough, thus my original question. i'm sure i could buy all the components, follow some schematics and probably not get electrocuted, but that would miss the point of learning about and understanding what i'm doing.

i'll certainly give those books a try. will they cover the more advanced topics i read about here?

This manual is a good starter, time tested and used to teach electronics to naval personnel makes a good reference guide as well.
I have this one, I still haven't finished reading it.
I've seen this one as highly recommended, I'll probably be picking it up sometime.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back