Moving to All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrcleanwell

Reaction score
So after a few successful extract brews, I've decided it is time to move to all grain. I plan on starting off with a 5 gallon batch and eventually up to 10 gal.

I'm about to put together a MLT and was wondering what size cooler I should use. Will a 10 gallon MLT be too large for a 5 gallon batch?

Also, I need to purchase a larger brewpot as I only have a 5 gal. Will a keg be too large for a 5 gallon brew?

And finally, I have seen people mention using "software" for their calculations. Where can I find this program?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. If you are planning on doing 10G batches you might as well get the equipment you need now. A well insulated 10G cooler will work for 5G batches. A keg will work fine for biling 5G.

As far as software there are several options. Most are trial versions with full versions requiring a payment.

Beersmith Good Choice. The developer is active on this forum.

Promash

BeerTools New version coming out September 2nd. No trial version.

and a free one. Qbrew

Back