Liquid for Air Lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomman

Reaction score
I dont have any StarSan, and I need to fill my airlock, can I just use water? Seems like a bad idea to use bleach, right? Rubbing alcohol maybe?

I have my boil going now and just realized Im not sure what to add, thanks for any thoughts.

Do you have vodka? If not just boil and cool some water and use that for right now.

tomman said:
I dont have any StarSan, and I need to fill my airlock, can I just use water? Seems like a bad idea to use bleach, right? Rubbing alcohol maybe?

I have my boil going now and just realized Im not sure what to add, thanks for any thoughts.

No bleach or rubbing alcohol! If it sucks any of that back in there, it wouldn't be fun. Vodka, as suggested, is great.

My local liquor store sells some mega cheap vodka for 9.99/half gallon. That's what I use...I can't imagine anyone drinking that crap.

I use the el-cheapo vodka as well. In a pinch I just use water, I don't bother boiling and cooling it though since it sits there exposed to the air anyway.

I've slowly been working my way though all the bad vodka I've collected. Works great in the airlock!

Back