ferment stuck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FEARDIZ

Reaction score
I'm making a extra stout extract from the LHBS it's been 9 days SG 1.044 now only 1.020 , FG is suppose to be 1.009-1.012
should I just wait until Saturday or think there could be an issue? I don't see any bubbles..

thanks
John

I'm but a newb, but from reading various posts in the forums, have you thought of maybe shaking your fermenter a bit and seeing if your yeast just needs a wake up call?

Also, if this is wrong info, please correct me.

still having same problem..
made on 11-3 SG 1.044
on 11-12 1.020
gave it a good stir on 11-13
today 11-18 it's still at 1.020

I guess it's done and I just have a week beer? The FG is suppose to be 1.009-1.012..
anything I can do to help it out or should I just rack to senconday and have some week beer?

thanks
John

What kind of yeast did you use? I could have been old yeast if it came with the kit. You could try pitching more. Or just rack to secondary and try again.

I'd pitch a fresh packet of dry yeast and give it another week. You might also try a Amylase Enzyme concentrate to breakdown some of the unfermentable sugars.

it came with a beer yeast while labs irish ale yeast in a 'test tube' it was not dry, I saw the guy take it out of the fridge

Sometimes the test tubes can be old. You SHOULDN'T have to make a starter for a regular batch of beer, but the more I research it, the tubes just don't have enough yeast to achieve krausen quickly and do a vigorous, complete, clean fermentation. Maybe you simply didn't pitch enough viable yeast. Also, what is your fermentation temp? Sometimes your can go too cold and the yeast go dormant. If this is the case, swirl, bring 'er up to 68F until you get going again, then back down to 65F to prevent fusels (though *some* esters might be desireable in a stout).

66f should be fine. You're only in 9 days. give it 14-21 and you'll be good to go.

wow this is the exact situation i am in. How about an update?

my stout had the same OG -1.044, and is stuck at 1.020, 62 degrees, no activity for days.

did you get any more activity out of yours?

well i swirled it, added a small amount of new dry yeast, put a brew belt on it to keep it at about 65 f.

Still no the hydro reads 1.020. So i decided to keg it, but prime with sugar instead of force carbing it. I am hoping that if there is anything left for the yeast to eat, maybe this will kick start it.

After two days there is no pressure in the keg yet. Do you guys think I had the right idea?

Back