The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a tomato based sauce I usually just throw tomatoes (canned or a fresh/canned mix) into a blender with some garlic, basil and oregano and run until smooth.

Usually, though, I prefer olive oil on the crust before the cheese and toppings.

Usually, though, I prefer olive oil on the crust before the cheese and toppings.

I love olive oil, baby spinach, diced roma tomatoes, sliced kalamata olives, red onions, sliced pepperoncini rings, homemade Canadian bacon, and a blend of Feta and Mozzarella cheeses.

It sounds like a lot, but the key with lots of toppings is to use very little of each.

Grilled shrimp and roasted veggies. Homemade crust sauce and cheese. Oh yeah. Beer too!

image-3928757311.jpg

image-4277095585.jpg

Our house sauce is very simple too. I take canned San Marzano tomatoes and squeeze them by hand until fairly smooth and picking out any green, hard pieces. Season with salt, pepper, basil, oregano, and a little garlic powder. I don't cook it, I just put it on the pizza. It tastes a little sweet and very fresh.

I love olive oil, baby spinach, diced roma tomatoes, sliced kalamata olives, red onions, sliced pepperoncini rings, homemade Canadian bacon, and a blend of Feta and Mozzarella cheeses.

It sounds like a lot, but the key with lots of toppings is to use very little of each.

I'm the same way. I get funny looks at the grocery store when I'm making pizza because I'll hit the gourmet olive table and show up at checkout with several containers, each with about five olives or two pepperoncini in them.

Beer Pizza Dough..

I didn't invent this dough, we have used it now three times thou and adopted it here. IN a bread machine on dough setting. Makes a great texture dough I could not tear easily spreading it out.

2 1/4tsp yeast (I used bread yeast fleishmans)
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons soft butter
1 cup flat beer (easy to obtain flat beer around here)
10-12" pizza pan with olive oil
I made a starter with the yeast in a cup while I was measuring the other things. It was frothy when I poured it into the machine.

Roll edges up, brush with olive oil, add toppings.

425 degrees @15 minutes.. we took it off the stone to brown the bottom better on the oven grille. I used Spaghetti sauce instead of the pizza sauce.

My wife worked at a pizza shop in Michigan.. she even liked this one. Normally not good enough for her critique. Someone said it is a Chicago style crust..

Beer Pizza Dough..

I didn't invent this dough, we have used it now three times thou and adopted it here. IN a bread machine on dough setting. Makes a great texture dough I could not tear easily spreading it out.

2 1/4tsp yeast (I used bread yeast fleishmans)
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons soft butter
1 cup flat beer (easy to obtain flat beer around here)
10-12" pizza pan with olive oil
I made a starter with the yeast in a cup while I was measuring the other things. It was frothy when I poured it into the machine.

Roll edges up, brush with olive oil, add toppings.

425 degrees @15 minutes.. we took it off the stone to brown the bottom better on the oven grille. I used Spaghetti sauce instead of the pizza sauce.

My wife worked at a pizza shop in Michigan.. she even liked this one. Normally not good enough for her critique. Someone said it is a Chicago style crust..

Looking for a quick one so I'll try this out. Totally forgot I could use my bread machine for this till you mentioned it, set it and forget it!

OK. Listen young grasshoppers and I will show you the ways.
1. Flour. Get this one
2. base is 1000g flour, 700g h20, 1/2c leaven. mix. wait 40 min.

I'll update as I do the next steps. Also doing a 50 gallon brew today, turbid mash... then AHA conference... so may be late in updating

2013-06-24 09.20.32.jpg

2013-06-24 09.20.14.jpg

Beer dough turned out excellent with heady topper clone in it!

Bitter crust? I tried IPA gravy once and nearly puked.....

The first pizza was a disaster. Got stuck on the pan couldn't get it in the oven. First was pep /sausage. The second went a little better chicken/ spinach. Both taste great. Im aready addicted.

They look great and you gained huge experience. Nicely done!

OK. Listen young grasshoppers and I will show you the ways.
1. Flour. Get this one
2. base is 1000g flour, 700g h20, 1/2c leaven. mix. wait 40 min.

I'll update as I do the next steps. Also doing a 50 gallon brew today, turbid mash... then AHA conference... so may be late in updating

I am listening...........

Did I already tell the story of my pizza disaster? Mushroom confit is lovely stuff, but should not go on a pizza. It was more mushroom lava soup with detachable crust.

step 2. add salt. 20g is what is standard. i'm watching my sodium (go up) so i use 15. Important to add salt after 30-40 min rest.

2013-06-24 10.22.52.jpg

This step is optional but HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. If you're at home over the next several hours, the bread will benefit from some folds within the bowl, which help gluten development. To fold the dough properly, first imagine the bread within the circular bowl having four sides. Simply reach under one side of the dough, pull up to stretch the dough, then fold toward center. Do the same with the opposite side, then with the other two sides. Shoot for doing this once every 15-20 minutes during the first few hours, then once every half hour thereafter. You will feel it become smoother each consecutive turn.
credit: my good friend Scott P for the narrative.

I've broken mine into two bins as I am doing a quadrouple batch so I have ample dough over the next week for bread and pizza. Need to make some so my wife doesnt' starve while I'm at AHA.

2013-06-24 10.27.13.jpg

Note: I obviously don't work today. To be honest, I have the summer off. This is all tough to do, but when you do brew, breadmaking is a great time passer. Now I'm off to crush 130lbs of malt for the brew.

Did I already tell the story of my pizza disaster? Mushroom confit is lovely stuff, but should not go on a pizza. It was more mushroom lava soup with detachable crust.

You could do it, but it would need to be squeezed in cheesecloth or something! Unfortunately, fresh mozzerella will exacerbate other liquidy ingredients.

Fresh mushrooms can actually counteract moisture a little.

We use this for crust when we grill pizza.

3/4 cup warm water
Pinch of sugar
1/4 cup room temperature white wine
1 packet active dry yeast
1 tablespoon honey
1 1/2 teaspoon fine gray sea salt
garlic-infused olive oil
3 cups all-purpose flour

Then for Sauce
1 (12 ounce) can tomato Paste
8 ounces Hefe weisse
1 tablespoon ground oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon ground paprika
1/2 tsp salt
Simmer for about half an hour on low-medium heat or until desired thickness.

I have found the biggest factor in pizza is learning how to condition the dough so the glutens are perfect. I tend to make a pretty wet dough and only use water, yeast, flour, and kosher salt. As I work it into a pizza round I use plenty of flour so it dries up a bit at that step.

I have had very good luck with Gold Medal AP flour and for the price and don't see stuff like King Arthur as enough of an improvement to justify they price.

I set my oven on bake and run the temp as high as it goes...prob around 600...and bake mine on a stone, takes about 4 minutes to cook. I have yet to perfect cooking on my Big Green Egg, usually gets the crust done too fast and I prefer to not have the smokey flavor on most styles of pizza.

I intend to experiment with beer yeast...just haven't had the time. So far, I can say that US-05 makes a fantastic, almost perfect crust in all ways, but like the beer it produces, it doesn't bring flavor to the dough. So, I want to play with some other strains and see what happens. Oh yeah, and using yeast from an IPA will bring a definite and IMO unpleasant hop character to the pizza.

I have found the biggest factor in pizza is learning how to condition the dough so the glutens are perfect. I tend to make a pretty wet dough and only use water, yeast, flour, and kosher salt. As I work it into a pizza round I use plenty of flour so it dries up a bit at that step.

I have had very good luck with Gold Medal AP flour and for the price and don't see stuff like King Arthur as enough of an improvement to justify they price.

I set my oven on bake and run the temp as high as it goes...prob around 600...and bake mine on a stone, takes about 4 minutes to cook. I have yet to perfect cooking on my Big Green Egg, usually gets the crust done too fast and I prefer to not have the smokey flavor on most styles of pizza.

I intend to experiment with beer yeast...just haven't had the time. So far, I can say that US-05 makes a fantastic, almost perfect crust in all ways, but like the beer it produces, it doesn't bring flavor to the dough. So, I want to play with some other strains and see what happens. Oh yeah, and using yeast from an IPA will bring a definite and IMO unpleasant hop character to the pizza.

Great info! Nice to see you outside the debate forum!;)

Bensiff said:

My experiences are very similar to yours, in regards to dough condition(nice wet dough with the balls dropped onto plenty of flour before stretching the crusts) and having excellent results with GM flour. Only I've learned to use my Vision grill (like the BGE but $650 instead of $1100) to make killer pizzas ;) Although I had a problem with the smoke at first too, I used 100% mesquite charcoal the first few times and it was a hideous amount of smoke flavor. Now I just use a few pieces right at the beginning and then 90% Kingsford and I let it burn for a good 45 minutes before any pies go on. Just did it last weekend actually.

image-3514897598.jpg

image-365716677.jpg

cheezydemon3 said:
Great info! Nice to see you outside the debate forum!;)

Crap, I think a debate could easily fire up with us in here... I think King Arthur is crap! And no yeast is the ONLY way to make good dough!

Pumbaa still occupies the cheese forum... We should all herd over there and do some cheese debate ;)

I never threw down with Pumbaa. I heard somewhere the mods turn the other way if you threaten to club him with an appenzeller.

My experiences are very similar to yours, in regards to dough condition(nice wet dough with the balls dropped onto plenty of flour before stretching the crusts) and having excellent results with GM flour. Only I've learned to use my Vision grill (like the BGE but $650 instead of $1100) to make killer pizzas ;) Although I had a problem with the smoke at first too, I used 100% mesquite charcoal the first few times and it was a hideous amount of smoke flavor. Now I just use a few pieces right at the beginning and then 90% Kingsford and I let it burn for a good 45 minutes before any pies go on. Just did it last weekend actually.

Good lord, the BGE is $1100!!! My parents bought it for my wife and I as a wedding present and it was around $650 back then, either its inflation or I'm getting old :).

Good thoughts on the letting the charcoal burn for a long time to reduce the smoke character. I have had the idea to use the plate setter to divert the heat, then put a pizza stone on top of that with a small air gap so I'm not putting the pizza right on the surface with a white hot fire immediately under it. I just need to figure out what to use to raise the stone an inch...perhaps a use for those BGE feet. Mmm, bbq chicken pizza. Damn, now I'm thinking, I'm going to have to buy a bottle of Orval and use the dregs to make a brett/sacc dough.

CreamyGoodness said:
I never threw down with Pumbaa. I heard somewhere the mods turn the other way if you threaten to club him with an appenzeller.

Watching him and mightynintendo spar was... Terrible. Pumbaa vs. Airborneguy was hilarious, because Pumbaa has no sense of humor and Sonny is such a smart ass ;)

One of my favorites...

start with sliced provelone' top with homemade sauce; add sauted onions and green bell peppers; cooked homemade italian sausage; sliced canned mushrooms (I just like them so much better than fresh :eek:); topped with mozarella.

img_1652_small-60313.jpg

Back