Raspberry melomel question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbeer

Reaction score
I was wondering, in primary fermentation, the raspberries all gather at the top to form a crust, when making wine from grape, 1-2 times a day you would push that crust down and mix it in. Should i be doing the same with my raspberry melomel?

I've only done a few batches but I have never seen any mention of it in a mead recipe. You should be degassing the first few weeks anyway so that would stir things up. Also you will want to add more fruit when you rack to secondary anyway.

I have done a Raspberry Melomel, and i would definitely suggest it. How much raspberry did you use? if the crust starts to dry it becomes a perfect breeding ground for mold and causes off flavors

Yes, stir the primary twice daily and dunk the cap at that time. A good indicator of readiness to remove the fruit is when they are bleached of color. A straining bag helps immensely when working with raspberries, but if not I literally scoop off the floating fruit and transfer to nylon bag for straining at that point and use wide racking tube covered with nylon stocking so as to leave seeds/pulp behind (have patience). Raspberry melomel is my favorite. Caution: raspberry mead tends to be prone to H2S, so keep it healthy by using nutrient and access to oxygen until at least 2/3 drop in original gravity.

I definitely agree with Saramc. I wish i used a nylon back, i lost alot of mead because of blow off, and racking off the raspberries.

Yes, stir the primary twice daily and dunk the cap at that time. A good indicator of readiness to remove the fruit is when they are bleached of color. A straining bag helps immensely when working with raspberries, but if not I literally scoop off the floating fruit and transfer to nylon bag for straining at that point and use wide racking tube covered with nylon stocking so as to leave seeds/pulp behind (have patience). Raspberry melomel is my favorite. Caution: raspberry mead tends to be prone to H2S, so keep it healthy by using nutrient and access to oxygen until at least 2/3 drop in original gravity.

Awesome! Thanks very much! This is definatley what I will be doing! :)

We do ours like Sara, not only punch it down but stir it up real good. We only like to leave berry fruit in for about 3-4 days or we sometimes we pick up some astringency probably from the seed tannins. I like to do it loose then put a Chinahat strainer in a bottling bucket holding a paint strainer and just dump a bit in at a time to strain out the berries, its so full of CO2 that oxygenation isnt a problem, then if its short on volume its easy to add some more sugar water or honey to bring the SG up a little and keep it going. WVMJ

WVMJ said:
We do ours like Sara, not only punch it down but stir it up real good. We only like to leave berry fruit in for about 3-4 days or we sometimes we pick up some astringency probably from the seed tannins. I like to do it loose then put a Chinahat strainer in a bottling bucket holding a paint strainer and just dump a bit in at a time to strain out the berries, its so full of CO2 that oxygenation isnt a problem, then if its short on volume its easy to add some more sugar water or honey to bring the SG up a little and keep it going. WVMJ

Does this same principal apply to the famous JAOM? the recipe says to just leave it alone if I remember correctly. Is that just to simplify the recipe?

Does this same principal apply to the famous JAOM? the recipe says to just leave it alone if I remember correctly. Is that just to simplify the recipe?

Nope, for JMAO (just what I call it), fight tooth and nail and step away from the carboy. I swear it was constructed that way to just give us a minor intro to the true patience you will need when making mead.

Back