Don't do what I did.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

citabria

Reaction score
Hey new AG brewers: Don't make my dumb mistake. I made my first all grain 3 batches ago. It had it's issues but i chalked it up to me learning a new process. second batch went better but I has an inorganic medicine taste going on. The third batch was a repeat of batch #2's recipe. I nailed everything. Mash temp, OG, you name it. After 6 weeks of fermentation and conditioning I opened a bottle. Still that medicine taste! What happened??? After some accidental reading, I found out I was incorrectly using a low temperature racking hose to transfer hot wort to the kettle.
So I set up an experiment. I ran hot water through the hose, then poured a control into a cup that had not been through the hose. Sure enough, the hose was leaching off a terrible medicine flavor into the water. I read everything when I built my mash tun. I never saw that I needed a special high temp hose. Oh well, I was almost ready to quit. Don't do what I did :drunk:

I think you may have something going on with your hose. I don't use high temp tubing and have never had a problem with off-flavors. Most vinyl tubing is good up to 160F. At least that's the stuff I bought at Lowe's.

I have never noticed off flavors from the pvc tubing. That said, I just switched over to all silicone. It is expensive but easy to use( does'nt coil up) and no worries about chemicals.

I also use vinyl tubing with no problems. Although you do want to watch the temperatures when using it. Do this little experiment. Put a piece of vinyl hose in cup of boiling water, one in water that is 180-190 degrees and a third in 150 degree water.

The boiled sample actually has the odor (i chose not to drink it based on this)

The 2nd sample did not smell but tasted off

The third sample was just fine.

I use the vinyl for everything except transferring mash and sparge water. I bought a 4 foot piece of silicone tubing for this purpose.

I'm surprised. My taste test at170F made it obviously clear that I awe getting off flavors form the vinyl tubing. The wife agreed she could taste the difference.

Yeah I do use it to collect runnings. No ill effects as I said, but perhaps I'll switch just to be safe.

I did a little more research. Not all vinyl tubing is the same. Temp ratings differ by manufacturer and are not always easy to find. I have some lousy tubing. Your results may vary.

I did a little more research. Not all vinyl tubing is the same. Temp ratings differ by manufacturer and are not always easy to find. I have some lousy tubing. Your results may vary.

Well don't let us make you stray. If you say it's your tubing, and your tests say it's your tubing, then it's probably your tubing. I am the biggest advocate of spending money to make better beer, so if you need to spend a few more bucks to make your beer better, do it. :mug:

Back