Dry Ice Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charbucks

Reaction score
I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I can't search for dry ice on the forum because both words are too short, and who says "frozen CO2"?

In any case, has anyone done any experimentation with using dry ice for carbonation? I'm sure it'd be possible, but it'd be nice to know if anyone had hit on ideal ratios. Also, I'm sure there are probably issues with contaminants, so I'd be interested to hear any experiences.

Thanks for the links and help guys, I forgot about using google to search. Looks like dry ice carbonation is something generally not recommended... at all...

I tried it with some soda i tried to keg. It was a mess. I put the dry ice in the keg and it went nuts. As I was trying to clamp down the lid there was all this gas bubbling out. When i managed to get the lid clamped on I didnt think about the picnic spigot I had on the keg. I had soda shooting out all over my den area. It was crazy. My girlfriend was laughing her ass off the whole time. I wonder if it would have worked a little better if the soda was cold. Im not going to try it again though.

I saw a cool video about carbonating fresh fruit with a small amount of dry ice and a nalgene bottle. I think dropping dry ice in liquid would be far too reactive to be effective though.

Back