Is this normal? Brown Layer on Top of Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaudius

Reaction score
So I'm pretty new at this. I started brewing an irish red ale on Saturday. My bucket lid isn't tight and being new I can't resist looking. When I checked it on Monday my beer had a brownish white foam on top of it which I presume was krausen, that dropped and now is on the sides of the top of the bucket(which can you can see in the picture) but there's still a layer of something brown on the top. Is this still krausen that just hasn't dropped completely? Is it something else? When I looked earlier there weren't any bubbles that I could see, but when I went to take these pictures a little bit ago there now appears to be bubbles again. There's also a little white spec there which from what I've read may be an infection(or maybe the whole top layer is an infection) or it could just be trapped yeasts. Thoughts?

FxCam_1354772623747.jpg

FxCam_1354772651603.jpg

Looks like beer! It's just krausen and nothing to worry about.
I don't use the carboy anymore unless I'm doing a secondary and I don't open the bucket so I don't see it very often, but it's normal.
You will see the remains of it if you don't open the lid till it's done.

Latest posts

Back