Stuck Ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Dog

Orange whip?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been lucky enough to not have this problem in my short time brewing beer. However this does seem like a common problem and I just wanted to get some ideas before it does.

Lets assume I have viable yeast and the wort is at the proper temperature and OG. From this point it seems like from what I have read that the most common reasons are insufficient mixing and or aeration. Does this sound correct?

A note about viable yeast and smack packs. In my mind the package should swell up considerably after breaking the inner package. To me this is a visual clue that you have viable yeast. If it doesn't you have either dead yeast or the package has not been broken. This is a simple reason why I prefer the Wyeast packs I can tell that I have active yeast before even making a starter. I learned this the hard way (as I do most everything).:drunk:

Cheers!!! :mug:
Chris

Sorry this isn't a direct answer to your question.
I don't use smack packs but this is the best advice I can give you.

I'd say stuck ferments are no were near as big a problem as people being impatient.

I'd say the majority of the threads conclude 48 to 72 hours later with "Yes I was worrying about nothing, it's fermenting now"

Best advice I can give is keep a pack of dry just in case.

Back