Farmhouse style ale??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raffie

Reaction score
Using a yeast that says its a farmhouse style.

What exactly is that?

My first guess would be a Saison-style. (Very tasty!)

(From BrewMonkey.com:)

Wyeast Labs Belgian Saison Yeast - 3724

Yeast Type Ale
Yeast Form Liquid
Floccuation Low
Attenuation 68%
Optimum Fermentation Temperature 70.0 °F - 85.0 °F
Description Classic farmhouse ale yeast. Spicy and complex aromatics including bubble gum. Very tart and dry on palate with mild fruit. Finishes crisp and mildly acidic. Benefits from elevated fermentation temperatures. Usually slow to attenuate.

I've never tasted bubble gum in a saison- I don't know that it's a good or a bad thing, but I've not experienced it.

ya thats the yeaest. even posted asking if anyone has used it and got no replies.

So what is farmhouse style?

How would you describe the flavor?

I have (and am) using the WLP565 Saison yeast, I would describe it as spicy and fruity with an estery component. I think it adds a nice complexity to a beer, and supposedly, the warmer you ferment, the more flavor it adds. I am going to brew and IPA with it tonight, can't wait for the results.

I also see its ferments up to 85 degrees.. this is a summer yeast for sure.

I'm making one with it using vienna and victory malt, Magnum for bitter and east kent for flavor and aroma.

Its bubbling away and smells like all beers very good.

Do you have the 3724 Belgian Saison or the 3726 Farmhouse Ale (VSS strain)? Saisons and Farmhouse ales are basically the same, or at least I'm not up to snuff enough to call out the differences. There are several excellent books on them, perhaps your LHBS has a store copy.

The reason I ask if you have the 3726 is that I have this yeast in my fridge right now and based on my research it's best fermented at 90F with a huge leap of faith. Fermenting at lower temps apparently can take weeks. I'm going to ferment mine in my garage at ambient temps, other people have had trouble actually keeping the wort warm enough (in a complete reversal of our usual situation).

I started a thread in the Recipes section with a recipe I came up with that will use the 3726 Farmhouse yeast:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=29207

i live in the us virgin islands, where we have an issue with high fermentation temps. think this yeast might work well here. any ideas?

3724 is very finicky yeast. It's alleged that it's an ancestor of a red wine yeast, which does not ferment maltose all that well. It tends to crap out at 1.030 unless you get it real hot (>80F) and wait it out.

I brewed a Saison this summer using 3724 and a small amount of 3711. 3711 (French Saison) is an absolute monster attenuator. The 3724 took off like a rocket then crapped out @ 1.030. The 3711 then slowly fizzed away for the next week until it was down to 1.004.

I've heard rave reviews of the 3711, evidently that yeast kicks ass. I will be brewing a saison here soon since fermentation temperature control is such a hassle here in Florida.

I've heard rave reviews of the 3711, evidently that yeast kicks ass. I will be brewing a saison here soon since fermentation temperature control is such a hassle here in Florida.

It's definitely a crazy yeast. I only pitched about half a smack pack of 3711 and pitched a big starter of 3724. I just love the character of 3724 too much to leave it out completely. I'm amazed so little yeast attenuated to that degree so fast.

Oneonta brewery gets their Saison into single digit gravities by adding 10% 3711 to 90% 3724, with no sugar addition.

New Glarus Brewery located in New Glarus, Wisconsin, brews a beer it calls "Spotted Cow." They call it a "farmhouse ale." I have no real idea exactly what that is, but perhaps the yeast is the answer. Thanks, brewers, for shedding some possible light on "farmhouse ale."

glenn514:mug:

New Glarus Brewery located in New Glarus, Wisconsin, brews a beer it calls "Spotted Cow." They call it a "farmhouse ale." I have no real idea exactly what that is, but perhaps the yeast is the answer. Thanks, brewers, for shedding some possible light on "farmhouse ale."

glenn514:mug:

From what I recall from when I had some this summer in Milwaukee, NG Spotted Cow is a cream ale and not a typical Farmhouse Ale. I always think Saison = FA but I know that this is not stylistically correct. NG does use corn in the mash for SC so perhaps it does technically qualify as a FA (in France, whatever grain was available would generally go into the mash). In any event, it is outstanding beer. Montanaandy

Back