First Brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Egg7

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I plan on starting my first batch tomorrow! But I have one question. I'm making an IPA. I bought a Brewers Best set of ingredients to make life easy. However, the directions in the ingredient kit say to steep the grain at 165 degrees for 20 minutes, remove, bring to boil, and add the extract/ dried malt.
The book I have says that many directions say this but to ignore it. It suggests bringing the water to a boil and adding everything at once... SO...

What should I do?

Thank you

steep you grains first, then you will want to bring your water to a boil. when it boils, kill the flame and add your extract. If you do it while the heat is still on you might boil over. turn the flame back on, and once it starts boiling, throw in your bittering (first) hops. Good luck, and welcome to the club. I started out with the exact same kit and it came out great.

Thanks Dano

Just to make sure, I steep, then remove the grain, then bring to a boil?

I would follow the directions. The book doesn't seem very specific. I also started brewing with the very same kit.

FOLLOW THE KIT DIRECTIONS!

I suspect whatever you are reading in the book is out of context, and you're misunderstanding.

Steeping grains at anything much over 165 is going to start leeching tannins and bringing off flavors to your beer. NO ONE with any knowledge of brewing would ever tell you to put grains into boiling water.

Thanks Dano

Just to make sure, I steep, then remove the grain, then bring to a boil?

After steeping you remove them, other wise you will end up with some nasty tannins in there :mug:

to be honest i usually steep my grains longer than that (usually 45 -60 min) but absolulty follow the directions that came with the kit! the kits are pretty hard to get wrong, so just follow the directions and you will come out with some great beer!

oh and if you have a dog (i dont but my friend who helps me on brew day does) you can make doggie treats with the spent grains. Just search "doggie treats" on here and you will find the recipe

Thanks again for the replies.

I believe I was misunderstanding the book directions. But I will follow the kit directions.

Yup, and all should be well. The key things are not to steep at too high a temp, extract with the flame off, then proceed.

Add your hops as per the directions and in a few weeks or months... enjoy!

B

Follow the directions until they say your beer is ready in 5 days..let that puppy sit in your primary AT LEAST 2 weeks, and better yet 3-4 weeks..your beer will be so much better

Follow the directions until they say your beer is ready in 5 days..let that puppy sit in your primary AT LEAST 2 weeks, and better yet 3-4 weeks..your beer will be so much better

Yep. Those kits usually have solid instructions until you get to the 'ferment for 5-7 days then rack to secondary.' Bad business, primary 3-4 weeks minimum.

As for steeping at 165*, that seems a bit high. I steep 20-30 mins at 152* then rinse grains with 170*+ water, add extract and bring to a boil. Steeping over 160* could give you some undesirable tannins.

Welcome aboard and best of luck!!!

Just finished up the boiling and transferring into the fermentor! I do have to admit I'm pretty nervous even though everything went pretty smoothly, except the huge mess I made. The next couple weeks having the carboy just sitting there is going to be killer.

I understand what you mean. Most of us lifers here have a pipeline, where one beer is ready while two more are in various stages of fermentation.

Good luck, I hope your beer turns out better than you expected.

You're not going to get tannins at 160-165F steeping. That line starts at 170F. The instructions in my wife's BB kit were like 150-165F. She did it at 160F for the 20 mins called for. Then bring to a boil,but DO NOT add the extracts yet! You have to go through a foamy hot break 1st. Keep it stirred down,or it'll boil over right quick.
then,I add half the extracts,saving any LME's for flame out. then do hop additions,the lighter load of malt will give better utilization of the hop oils. Do flame out addition,then add remaining extracts,cover,& let steep while the BK is still boiling hot. That residual heat is more than enough to sanitize the extracts. No need to boil the living hell out of everything. The nasties aren't that tough. Then chill in ice water bath down to good pitch temp.

Latest posts

Back