Metal Tasting Honey Blonde Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzos01

Reaction score
This is my first batch and I hope I can find some help. Today marks exactly 4 weeks since I brewed this batch. Put it in the frig this afternoon and gave it a few hours to cool. Opened my first home brew bottle and it has a really strong metallic taste to it. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? Mind you half way through the glass it gets better. Any comments would help. Thanks. On a side note it was in primary for 2 weeks and bottled for another 2 weeks. After reading the threads I am hoping it will get better with age.

gonzos01 said:
This is my first batch and I hope I can find some help. Today marks exactly 4 weeks since I brewed this batch. Put it in the frig this afternoon and gave it a few hours to cool. Opened my first home brew bottle and it has a really strong metallic taste to it. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? Mind you half way through the glass it gets better. Any comments would help. Thanks. On a side note it was in primary for 2 weeks and bottled for another 2 weeks. After reading the threads I am hoping it will get better with age. I guess I am getting immune to the taste half way through.

Wort being boiled in unprocessed Metals , mainly iron , but also aluminium , and steel ( excluding stainless ) is usually the source of metallic flavors .

Metallic flavors can also be extracted from metal brewing equipment , bottle caps and/or kegs .

Using Water that has high levels of iron will impart iron flavors .

Avoid using iron for anything that will be coming in contact with Beer/Wort .

If using a ceramic coated steel Pot , always check for cracks or scratches before using .

Aluminium Pots will generally only cause metallic flavors when using Alkaline Water with a pH over 9 .

Avoid using unfiltered well Water which has high levels of iron .

Besides , I would dissolve a little of the Honey in a glass of Water ( the Water you used for brewing ) and taste it to see

if there is any detectable iron flavor .

If you used Honey as an Adjunct , did you add it near the end of the boiling ?

I've heard also that some Chemicals are sometimes added to Honey to pasteurize it . Perhaps These Chemicals have an effect on tasting .

Hector

Back