Yeast Cultivation Strategy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shot0rum247

Reaction score
So I've never really had the time to cultivate a lambic yeast from a bottle and find that the sanitation problems that could occur may not be worth it. I was thinking about buying a lambic, drinking almost all of it and then pouring a liter of starter wort into the bottle and securing it with an airlock. Has anyone tried this or thinks it's a bad/good idea?

Best,
Brett

If you try it, before you open, and then after you do (before you pour), I'd suggest sterilizing the bottle mouth (butane lighter, etc.) I'm not a big lambic guy, but I thought that they were mostly pasteurized to kill the bacteria that sours it, in which case you'd be out of luck...

why not just buy wyeast?

3278 Belgian Lambic Blend. Contains a selection of Saccharomyces cerevisiae which include Blegian style wheat beer yeast, sherry yeast, two Brettanomyces strains and Lactic Acid Bacteria. While this mixture does not include all possible cultures found in Belgian Lambics, it is representative of the organisms which are most important for the desirable flavor components of these beer styles. Individual components available from this blend are numbered below. Apparent attenuation: 65-75%. Flocculation: low–medium. Optimum temp: 63°-75° F

B

Not a bad idea... but I would definitely sanitize the neck of the bottle. Also, don't use an airlock, just use aluminum foil; it's much better for promoting yeast growth.

Back