Couple of Q's from a first-time brewer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJ11223344

Reaction score
well Ive had my cider fermenting for a couple of days, im waiting for it to get done.
I used champagne yeast the OG of 1gl was about 1.045/40 might have been higher. In the other gallon i put a teaspoon of corn sugar, does anyone know about how much that will raise my og?

I also pulled off the airlock to get a stiff, it hasnt finished fermenting yet, i didnt disturb it, and i put it right back on, that would effect it any would it?

finally, id like it to be carbonated (fizzy/ sparkling) like beer is. Id like to imitate strongbow (from the UK) how do i go about doing that, i have other carboys to rack it into and/ or i could rack it straight into 12oz beer bottles i have throughly cleaned, i have a bottle capper and oxygenblocking bottle caps?

thanks for any help! :mug:

1 Teaspoon in a Gallon wont be enough to change the SG at all. One pound will raise a gallon about 45 points, 1/4 pound will raise it about 11 points. Think about how sweet a gallon of water would be with 1 teaspoon of sugar. I doubt you could taste it at all.

You didn't do anything wrong but don't take it off again. Its an air lock you can sniff the air coming out of the lock.

You can not make a Strongbow clone. If you are going to bottle condition then you need to back sweeten with a non-refundable sugar like Lactose, Stevie. Then use regular sugar/corn sugar to make the carbonation.

Treat is just like beer when its time to bottle. Add the priming sugar to the bottling bucket. Rack the cider and bottle away. You will get between 8-10 bottles per gallon.

Indeed, if you want a sweet or semi sweet carbonated brew, the only real way to do it without more equipment and or experience is nonfermentable sugars like lactose or splenda. Add these to get the proper sweetness that you desire, then prime it like you would beer, 1 oz of sugar per gallon.

This should probably be a separate thread but has anyone tried that new sweetner Truvia, mad from the stevia plant?

hey i bought a small bottle of "simply apple" cider. 100% pressed apples no other ingredients or perservatives. the bottle is a 59 oz jar. i simply put 1 cup of sugar and one packet of fichmann's yeast in it. it was done fermenting in one week. all yeast activity was done. i racked it after a month.and it has been a week later and it is still cloudy but some sediment is still forming. i tasted it and it was pretty good,,good apple taste and good sweetness, i also added one stick of cinnomin and bout 6 mini red hot candies to it. so it has been going for 5 weeks, will it clear up or will it be ok to bottle and consume some now and put a few up for later.

Back