Saison Shipwrecked Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My request is about fermentation temperature! I will use 3726 yeast and i will piyltch at 70F. How many degrees per day do you recommend ramping the temp up until arrive at mid 85 / 90???

Hmm...depends on how much yeast character you want. I usually pitch at around 65F and every day increase by 2F until I'm at 75F, then the next day increase by 3F per day until at 85F. Then hold at 85F for 3 days or so...
Then test gravity. If you like the flavor then chill and package.
If you want, you can bring it back down to 68F and store for another week then taste again....if you are satisfied then cold crash (maybe apply finings) and package.
bear in mind that after chilling and packaging, some cold conditioning will continue to improve in subtle ways.

Hmm...depends on how much yeast character you want. I usually pitch at around 65F and every day increase by 2F until I'm at 75F, then the next day increase by 3F per day until at 85F. Then hold at 85F for 3 days or so...
Then test gravity. If you like the flavor then chill and package.
If you want, you can bring it back down to 68F and store for another week then taste again....if you are satisfied then cold crash (maybe apply finings) and package.
bear in mind that after chilling and packaging, some cold conditioning will continue to improve in subtle ways.

Ok.thanks! I was thinking start at 70 and finish at 90 in five days - about 5 degrees every day - but reading this thread i think it' too much!

3726 is by far my favorite Saison yeast. You can't go wrong with it no matter what you do (unless you ferment cool, which would be dumb). I havent used it for some time but if I remember correctly I usually let the temperature free-rise at its own pace then I hold it at the peak temp for 3 or 4 days for a lot of character. Whatever you choose to do you'll love it

Back