Raspberry Infection? No clue... (pics!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtodd22

Reaction score
Hi all – This is my first attempt at dry-hopping with fruit and I’m wondering if this is a normal raspberry reaction or if I may have acquired an infection.

It’s a Hefeweizen brew. Once fermentation was complete I took 2.5 lbs of frozen raspberries, covered them in water and then heated them up to 160 degrees for 10-15 minutes. I sanitized a carboy and racked the brew on top. I also sanitized everything else that came in contact with the brew as usual.

I realize the berries turning white is normal and a new krausen often forms when adding fruit (which it looks like one has) but the white/milky foam is concerning to me. The pics were taken 2 days after adding the fruit.

Any insight on this funk!? Thanks in advance for any input.

RaspFunk1.jpg

RaspFunk2.jpg

RaspFunk3.jpg

RaspFunk4.jpg

no way to tell unfortunately. however, you have just added a ton of solids to your beer, which is generally guaranteed to make it look weird. my money is on you being fine.

Just bottled a raspberry blonde myself, looked exactly the same! Hopefully all will be ok!

I added 4 lbs of strawberries and 2.5 lbs of rhubarb to a wheat beer. It kicked off a secondary fermentation that took off rather violently.

Are you sure those are raspberries? They look like frozen shrimp. Are you sure they're not frozen shrimp?

My experience with secondary fruit (10 lbs muscat grapes) was similar. I think it is just new yeast from the secondary fermentation.

Thanks, all! I feel a bit better about it. I also popped off the top this morning for a quick sniff and it smelled great, which is encouraging. I'll give it a week to sit and go from there.

Thanks for all the input. Appreciated....

Back