kind of New to brewing..Hoppy-Weizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilG311

Reaction score
Hi there, I have a few batches under my belt-Here's what i just did, and I wonder what anyones thoughts are...I just kinda fly by the seat of my pants when it comes to brewing.

I recieved a hefeweizen kit for christmas, so i decided to brew it today and add a bunch of extra hops. I did it on a wim because i had some left over stuff in my freezer, along with some frozen/fresh picked hops my buddy grew.

The kit recipe was this:

2 cans of Wheat LME
2 oz Liberty Pellet Hops.

it was 1 can and 1 oz for 30 min boil, then the other can and oz for 15.

My recipe ended up looking like this:

6.6lb LME-Wheat
2oz DME-Light

First addition
1 can LME & 2 oz of DME
1oz Liberty-pellet
1oz Chinook-Pellet
1oz Chinook-Fresh

Full Boil for 30 min

Then
1 Can LME
1 oz Liberty-pellet
0.50 oz Chinook-Pellet
1 oz Zeus-Fresh
1 tsp Irish moss
Boil for 15 then

1 oz Zeus-Fresh at flame out.

Yeast used was Wheat Beer Yeast WB-06

I let it sit @ 74 for about 2.5 hours, and I just moved it to my basement which is sitting between 60 and 63 degrees. Fermentation is active.

I love IPA's, Imperial IPA's, DIPA's etc...so I'm going for a really hoppy wheat beer.

Thoughts??

I'd say you've achieved your goals of a really hoppy weizen:fro: Chinook has quite high AA%, so only doing a 45 min boil was probably a good idea, and that with Liberty would seem to point to a nice, spicey, resiney, flavour for your weizen.

Are you going to ramp up the ferm temps after the first couple of days to get some nice ester action from the WB-06? I'm interested to see how this brew finishes up:mug:

I'd say you've achieved your goals of a really hoppy weizen:fro: Chinook has quite high AA%, so only doing a 45 min boil was probably a good idea, and that with Liberty would seem to point to a nice, spicey, resiney, flavour for your weizen.

Are you going to ramp up the ferm temps after the first couple of days to get some nice ester action from the WB-06? I'm interested to see how this brew finishes up:mug:

3 of the ounces used where hops that my buddy grew, so I have no idea what the alpha is, because if they were picked past their peak-their alpha would be effected. (being the reason why I added some chinook pellets)

I tasted the wort that i checked my gravity with. It was hoppy, but not extreme. Im really excited for this to finish up!

I am going to try and keep the fermentation temps on the low side to keep the esters on the low side. On the package it says best range of the WB-06 is 59-70, right now its sitting at approx 70 in a 60 degree basement.

the fermentation is going crazy though...so glad i put a blow off tube on it instead of trashing the airlock.

This reminds me of the white IPA threads we had here a while back. A wheat IPA seems like a good idea,as long as things are kept in balance.:mug:

This reminds me of the white IPA threads we had here a while back. A wheat IPA seems like a good idea,as long as things are kept in balance.:mug:

yeah, that's honestly why i added the little bit of extra DME to put a a little more sweetness in with it.

The wort tasted really good, like sunshine in a glass, lol. Really hoping it turns out awesome.:mug:

will do! Its fermenting like crazy right now. definitely glad i went blow off tube! Can't wait to check the gravity in a week to see how it did, and to sneak a sip of the beer. At that point I'm going to decide if i want to dry hop it. My buddy gave me 4 oz of fresh zeus hops that I froze. I used 2 already-so if i feel like it may need some more hops, i may rack to secondary and dry hop for another week.

1004029_10151707205077464_1076189070_n.jpg

Back