Gotta Girlie Beer Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since this thread has been dragged back to the top, I'm still curious whether or not the female members in this thread are equally offended by terms like "chick flick" (implying a movie favoured by women) or "chick lit" (implying literature preferred by women).

If I see this month's issue of Martha Stewart's magazine on your coffee table, is it offensive to presume that it belongs to the woman of the house? Is it offensive to assume that the copy of "Car and Driver" beneath it belongs to the man? Is the goal here to create a world where nobody makes any kind of assumptions at all, and we've all been trained to eliminate any such presumptions? A world where nobody would be surprised to see a Zumba class full of men, or an oil rig where the women outnumber the men?

Since this thread has been dragged back to the top, I'm still curious whether or not the female members in this thread are equally offended by terms like "chick flick" (implying a movie favoured by women) or "chick lit" (implying literature preferred by women).?

I think the difference is I'm the intended audience. Romantic comedies (I haven't heard anyone say "chick-flick" in years) and chick-lit (whatever genres that encompasses) are typically written by a female with a female audience in mind. Craft beer, on the other hand, is not generally brewed with one type of genitals in mind.

Personally, I find the fact that people thinks it's not a BFD to be more troubling than the comments themselves. I don't want my daughter growing up in a world where we are still thoughtlessly giving tacit approval to outdated gender roles. What kind of message does it send when I sit down data restaurant and a server presents a different selection of beers to my wife than he or she does to me?

If this thread is so offensive why didn't it get deleted? Didn't the thread about "Jew-brew" and 'He-brew" ,or what ever it was called, get deleted?

Just looking out for ya. I've read the thread and you keep asking, pleading and demanding for something to happen that isnt going to happen. I know it must be frustrating. Last thing I want is you to pop a vessel.

Just looking out for ya. I've read the thread and you keep asking, pleading and demanding for something to happen that isnt going to happen. I know it must be frustrating. Last thing I want is you to pop a vessel.

I guess that means "girlie beer" really isn't all that offensive then.

I guess that means "girlie beer" really isn't all that offensive then.

It's more offensive that when I expressed how I felt, I was treated dismissively. I think a "girlie beer" is a nice big IPA, or maybe an IIPA because that's what I like. So that's what I'll just keep believing! :D

But our goal isn't to delete threads. We are a forum that encourages discussion, sharing of information, and relationships. I have the utmost respect for the people on this forum, and have no desire to make anyone not feel free to express themselves. While some of this thread is WAY off topic from "general beer discussion", it is not breaking forum rules to remain.

So a beer that's good for people who don't typically like beer (which is what this thread's original intentions were, regardless of the wording) is a Belgian Singel, or at least this is what I've found. Super simple recipe and super easy to brew. And a super good way to grow up whatever Belgian strain you may want to use to ferment a Tripel, Quad, etc.

7.0 lb Pilsner
0.5 lb Aromatic
0.5 lb Turbinado

1.0 oz Saaz - 90 min
0.5 oz Saaz - 20 min

Wyeast 3787

Should come around 1.045 and 20 IBUs. Super easy drinker, and it's character doesn't fade like an APA.

I guess I may be off topic now by trying to be on topic. Oh well. Enjoy the recipe, I sure do.

So a beer that's good for people who don't typically like beer (which is what this thread's original intentions were, regardless of the wording) is a Belgian Singel, or at least this is what I've found. Super simple recipe and super easy to brew. And a super good way to grow up whatever Belgian strain you may want to use to ferment a Tripel, Quad, etc.

7.0 lb Pilsner
0.5 lb Aromatic
0.5 lb Turbinado

1.0 oz Saaz - 90 min
0.5 oz Saaz - 20 min

Wyeast 3787

Should come around 1.045 and 20 IBUs. Super easy drinker, and it's character doesn't fade like an APA.

I guess I may be off topic now by trying to be on topic. Oh well. Enjoy the recipe, I sure do.

Do you have pictures of how it looks? I personally could care less if its called a girls drink ..i know I'm a man and drink what i like not what I'm told its a men's drink..

I'll admit I busted out the popcorn on this one, so I might as well add something constructive. I'll keep it to beer. Well, mostly...

M'lady was my inspiration to start this hobby, though if she could take it all back she would. Her taste is mostly for cider, wine, and stouts. I started by making some tasty ciders (keeved is the best!) since good ones are hard to find. It also served as sort of a poor man's intro to wine which is what I really wanted to do. Cut to about a year later and I'm brewing stouts, if only to prove to her that I actually am good at this brewing thing. She just didn't like the highly carbed Belgians (hurts her stomach) or hoppy beers I had been doing. I know I was going somewhere with this...

There it is.

So I didn't catch the part about "fruity," but chocolate oatmeal stout you say? How about something like...

Target OG 1.055-1.060
Target FG 1.015-1.020
IBU's 40-50

75% Maris Otter
8% Flaked Oats
6% Roasted Barley
4% Belgian Chocolate Malt
3% Caramunich III
3% C120
1% Dutched Cocoa (dissolve then add late boil)

35-40 IBU bittering charge (60-90 min) with Perle or Magnum
5-10 IBU flavor addition (~20 min) with Cascade or EKG

The usual suspects for yeast, depending on what you want.

Oak is fun to play with though not really necessary.

You're not really going to taste the oats, but they give a nice silky mouthfeel. I use all the water in the mash, no sparge. Not everyone would be comfortable with this (or the resulting efficiency), but it's one way to keep the mash pH in check with my water. Balanced water profile, salt additions minimal to none.

OK, have fun everybody. :)

I try to stay out of these kind of discussions because they make my head hurt. I think the problem is we as guys get so many mixed messages from so many different women about what is acceptable and at heart us men are pretty simple creatures. Plus the other point is we wouldn't get upset about "manly" being used so we have a hard time understanding why being described as "girlie" would be offensive. I think the easiest thing to do though is unless it is really important to you and it offends someone then simply don't do it. If I find out something I say or do is offensive I usually just appologise and find a better way to get my point across. Like with this one I would have said I was sorry and asked for "a beer for beer drinkers that like easier drinking beers". Same point and it shouldn't offend anybody and it is easy for me to do.

I try to stay out of these kind of discussions because they make my head hurt. I think the problem is we as guys get so many mixed messages from so many different women about what is acceptable and at heart us men are pretty simple creatures. Plus the other point is we wouldn't get upset about "manly" being used so we have a hard time understanding why being described as "girlie" would be offensive. I think the easiest thing to do though is unless it is really important to you and it offends someone then simply don't do it. If I find out something I say or do is offensive I usually just appologise and find a better way to get my point across. Like with this one I would have said I was sorry and asked for "a beer for beer drinkers that like easier drinking beers". Same point and it shouldn't offend anybody and it is easy for me to do.

It's because usually, in the context of beer, "girlie" means inferior or lacking quality or taste. Coming on a site like this where people are into craft and high-quality beer and have tastes all over the map and saying you want a "girlie" beer is like saying you want Michelob Fruit Spice or whatever it is they market to women.

Hey Yooper.my apologies....there was zero intent to offend anyone. Maybe my choice of words were not to the liking of some, but I said what I said...I'll keep making beers and maybe one of the girls in my life will like one and maybe they will just stick to thier cocktails and wine. When or if I brew one that they like, I'll let ya know.

Hey Yooper.my apologies....there was zero intent to offend anyone. Maybe my choice of words were not to the liking of some, but I said what I said...I'll keep making beers and maybe one of the girls in my life will like one and maybe they will just stick to thier cocktails and wine. When or if I brew one that they like, I'll let ya know.

If you'll like a nice brew that is crisp, light and low abv try a stella clone .. my wife and I really enjoy them when I'm not in the mood for heavy beers.

Do you have pictures of how it looks? I personally could care less if its called a girls drink ..i know I'm a man and drink what i like not what I'm told its a men's drink..

It's only 4.5 SRM, so it's plenty pale to not surprise anyone who's "just a BMC drinker." As far as fermentation goes, I usually pitch in the low 70's and just let it ride from there, just one smack pack. I know it's a little bit of an underpitch, but I've done this recipe with a proper sized starter and I honestly can't say either way is "better".

As a matter of fact.I have the clone ingredients in my fridge,I may have to waste it as I am brewing ales ........plus it does not fit my topic criteria

So I brought home a bottle of Ephemere which is kind of like witbier brewed with apple juice.

My wife hates wheat beer. Put an ounce of wheat in the beer and she'll eyeball the glass and ask: "Is this wheat beer?" She'll taste it and say, "oh yes, it's wheat beer." Then she won't drink it.

So yeah, she didn't go for the Ephemere.

I can't explain it but she hates the wheat.... unless it's a very sweet fruit wheat beer where you can only taste the fruit.

The only type of non-fruit beer she likes is stout and porter.

I like just about any beer style. Sure I have preferences but relating only to the quality of the product and not so much the style. Thus, it's hard to understand why someone would not like a specific style. For me at least, it's just another mystery that is woman.

I do....it's stupid.

Really? I am kinda hard to offend though. I guess it is because I believe I am better than 95% of people so I just assume it is a problem with them.:fro: I honestly don't remember the last time I was offended though.

Latest posts

Back