Gotta Girlie Beer Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Only one girl in my life drinks beer all the others are wine drinkers. Was thinking about brewing a batch of one of those chocolate stouts just for the femine palate, but that may a bit "too thick". Any desert beers?

Instead of trying to brew something they are supposed to like; why not challange their perception of beer? There's so much out there, and most probably only had lagers.

Do a smoked, malty session beer. Not an overly peat beer, of course.

I had a lot of good luck getting girls to drink a tart Wheat beer made of a simple American-style Wheat beer racked to secondary on top of a single can of Apricot puree.

Pretty insulting title for this thread.

My favorite "girly beer" (10 gallons):
18 lbs two-row
4 lbs Munich Malt
1 lbs 12.0 oz Caramunich II (Weyermann)
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
2.00 oz Magnum [11.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Ahtanum [4.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 20.0 min
1.00 oz Ahtanum [4.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min
3.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Dry Hop 5 days
2.00 oz Amarillo [9.50 %] - Dry Hop 5 days

OG 1.065 IBUs 85

Most of the girls I know that didn't like beer at one point started drinking stouts or porters. I find that if you do a chocolatey stout or a coffee stout... maybe both... you will find many enjoy it. Not just girls.

Cream of 3 Crops seems to be a winner for a wide variety of beer drinkers.

there are dudes that like girly beers, too!

just like there are chicks that rock hardcore in-your-face brews and wipe their mouth with the back of their hand ;)

18 lbs two-row
4 lbs Munich Malt

OG 1.065 IBUs 85

no flameouts? wimp!

:ban:

You know, you could always ask her what she likes instead of crowd sourcing with the assumption that we all have homogenous tastes.

Signed
A Laydeetype

tumblr_mblhcsi8d61rrzztvo1_500.gif

;)

I think either of the white house recipes would wwork well. Both are relatively light with a lot of flavor, that is a little sweet, and not too hoppy.

no flameouts? wimp!

:ban:

I can't believe I left off the whirlpool hops! Thanks for noticing that.

Add at flameout and whirlpool for 20 minutes:
1 oz homegrown chinook
1 oz homegrown cascade
1 oz simcoe
1 oz amarillo

This sounds so good to me now, that I decided to brew it this weekend instead of the one I planned. I might switch up, though, and use cascade for the amarillo since I have a TON of homegrown cascade.

Anyway, sorry to get my knickers in a bunch, but I just hate the premise that someone who is female likes sweet fruity crap, while manly types drink real beer. I'm a small-ish size 4 grandmother. And I like many different types of beer, but highly hopped beers are my favorite.

One of the things that irks me is when people want to show the way to others. Sure, it's great to share great beer finds with people in your life, but some people just don't like beer.

My own father calls my beer "that homebrewed ****" except for ONE that I make just for him. My cream ale. He didn't believe I made it, as "This is GOOD!". So I just don't waste my beer on him. His favorite beer in the universe is Genesee Cream Ale. Trying to convince him otherwise is futile. So, he drinks that.

Making a beer for someone that doesn't like beer is probably only going to end up in frustration.

Making a wine for someone that likes wine might be more reasonable.

The "Island Mist" wine kits are about $60 and make 6 gallons of fruity wine cooler type of beverage. (Like those "Arbor Mist" type wines). The Winexpert kits are about $60 and come in lots of different varieties like riesling, shiraz, chardonnay, etc. Those might be more to your friends' liking.

One of the things that irks me is when people want to show the way to others. Sure, it's great to share great beer finds with people in your life, but some people just don't like beer.

I couldn't agree more. I think as brewers we start thinking that everyone likes beer they just don't know it yet because of the mass marketed stuff that everyone is used to. However, I've found that some people just don't like it, and there is no such thing as a beer for any one demographic. it would be boring if there was.

Only one girl in my life drinks beer all the others are wine drinkers. Was thinking about brewing a batch of one of those chocolate stouts just for the femine palate, but that may a bit "too thick". Any desert beers?

Around here a "girlie beer" beer is a 1.075 75 IBU IPA. It's best not to generalize about people's tastes.

Those Island Mist kits are nice for a hot day. The Brew Hut had a homebrew tasting and set up two of those kits on CO2 so you got the bubbles and all, it was good. And last I checked my penis still hasn't fallen off... :ban:
Took my wife to beer bar in Denver and she told the guy she wasn't in the mood for beer, the server disagreed, started asking what flavor she was aiming for. Brought out her first Kriek and she now has her go to 10% "girly-beer" My suggestion is to go to a decent beer bar and have her talk to an educated cicerone that will guide her palate to her next favorite beverage. :mug:

My 88 year old mother likes Bocks herself, barring that she likes Stouts, Porters, Vienna Lagers, scwartzbiers, or basically anything dark.

Most of the women I know are serious beer geeks themselves, some brew, some are bjcp judges and some know as much about beer as I do.

The last woman I dated was not much of a beer person, but the one she liked with Lindeman's Pesch fallowed by framboise.

What about the Succulent Strawberry Blonde Ale that you can find in the forum and also I was going to add watermelon extract to a light wheat beer. My LHBS had that kegged last month and I liked it.

image-1255969245.jpg

The one on the left is a prickly pear wheat. I wouldn't call it girly because my wife and I fight over who gets the last pint. I concede because I love her but hate because that beer is awesome!

I agree there's no one beer for one demographic.

A friend always keeps a Citra Pale on tap for his wife and it's not just a "girlie beer". You said you are making this for one person? Can you ask her what she likes?

Oh Em Gee,,,,,insulting thread? I don't think so. And if you are insulted, Bee Ef Dee. I'm looking for a beer that is sweet with chocolate, or coffee or very fruity. Just want to find a beer that my significant others would enjoy. They like beer as much as I like wine.

Oh Em Gee,,,,,insulting thread? I don't think so. And if you are insulted, Bee Ef Dee. I'm looking for a beer that is sweet with chocolate, or coffee or very fruity. Just want to find a beer that my significant others would enjoy. They like beer as much as I like wine.

Yeah, it is. It really is insulting. And whether you think it's a BFD or not is your choice but as a female implying that "girlie beers" are fruity or chocolately or dessert beers in an insult.

I'm a decent brewer, and don't think that being "girlie" was meant as a compliment. Any more than I think you're a ***** because you like lagers, as an example.

We have far more female brewers around than you may realize.

Anytime you point to someone's gender and say what is appropriate for them to like, it's an insult. You can think it's a "BFD" or not. But no one was rude to you, just telling you that it was insulting. Unlike YOUR response back. You were very rude to me by saying "BFD" and by discounting what I said. I would never say anything like that to YOU.

Real men only like barley wine anyway. Everybody knows that. :cross:

It's ok to not like beer, or to not like wine. You could make wine (which is often easier than beer anyway) instead of trying to find a beer that they may not like anyway.

Although the avatar may be confusing, if you haven't quite figured it out yet, one of our most active and highly thought of mods, is a kick ass brewer, who has a penchant for hop-bombs, and hockey, happens to be one of them "girly" types. ;)

Oh Snap.....

Although the avatar may be confusing, if you haven't quite figured it out yet, one of our most active and highly thought of mods, is a kick ass brewer, who has a penchant for hop-bombs, and hockey, happens to be one of them "girly" types. ;)

Oh Snap.....

Haha! I think he knows that.

And Tom Waits!

As far as desert beers go, I would go for something low abv. and thirst-quenching. It's hot out there! My girlfriend loves Red's Rye, so maybe clone that.

Maybe this is getting out of hand???? But Yooper is a g'ma??? That brews??? MAD PROPS. U've commented on many of my posts and those words of insight are always appreciated.

'Girlie' ya it sucked, but it was just a poor choice of words. The bigger picture is that he/she is looking for a beer to make for someone else.

Remember we are all here to help and learn... Sorry new parent 👍

Yooper said:

18 lbs two-row
4 lbs Munich Malt

OG 1.065 IBUs 85

I love you

Reality:

Men and women are different. One is not better than the other (well, I'd contend my wife is better than me...). Most of the women I know actually do prefer a certain style of beer over others. I'm not saying its ubiquitous, but I certainly don't take this tongue-in-cheek post offensively. Either did my wife.

Yooper- that recipe is gnarly... in a very goooood way ;)

Reality:

Men and women are different. One is not better than the other (well, I'd contend my wife is better than me...). Most of the women I know actually do prefer a certain style of beer over others. I'm not saying its ubiquitous, but I certainly don't take this tongue-in-cheek post offensively. Either did my wife.

Yooper- that recipe is gnarly... in a very goooood way ;)
A lot of those differences are ingrained culturally however, not biologically.

A lot of those differences are ingrained culturally however, not biologically.

Just as many are ingrained biologically. I won't get into my specific line of work, but this is one area where science tends to disagree with the purely "nurture" perspective (which, btw, I tend to rely on more often). Regardless, beer preference is likely not a biological predisposition, but even cultural influences are "real." Taking offense to such petty things as this thread, where there was no malicious intent, only serves to fan the flame of discrimination by keeping it alive when it doesn't need to be. That's all I'm saying :ban:

"girlie" beer, in quotations. Was looking for a recipe for those in my life(not yours) that don't like the beer I like. If you are offended, sorry. Maybe next time I'll ask what I can say so nobody is insulted. "Manly" Beer?

I made a Irish stout that had a OG=.044 and FG=.020 Never had that happen in about 100 Batches don't know what the hell went wrong , but anyway at only 2.some $hit ABV its sure to be a (Girl y) stout . Cant get it to go any lower I Must have been to shi^ faced when we read the mash temp I tried more yeast warmer temp with 02 Injection

If you are having guests to your house and you know they don't like beer, why are you trying to make them drink beer? It's kinda like asking what meat you should serve to a vegetarian.

Back