My new Equip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macdonald87

Reaction score
Got it today :)

Well the Flask, DME, and Yeast Nutrients.

The 1" stir bar came in last week.

Did not realize my flask was so big, o well now prepared for bigger OG brews :ban:

Next Project > Build a Stir Plate, luckily I got all the parts hanging around

be4bce3d.jpg

I got the flask, the DME and yeast nutrients on amazon.

It was actually bought from Midwest supplies but through amazon it was cheaper with shipping buying on amazon.

Pm me if you want the direct link

For bigger OG brews (depending on what you're brewing already) you'll want to look into doing stepped starters. Basically, you make a starter, such as a 1.2L starter, on the stirplate. Then, once it finishes, you cold crash and decant so that you can add fresh starter wort, like 1.8L, on top of the yeast cake. Place back on the stirplate and get it to finish. You'll get MUCH larger yeast cell count this way than you will with just a starter of the combined size. Use yeastcalc.com to get a better idea. Always remember to put in the yeast born date in the tool, so that you can factor in cell loss over time.

I did this with my last batch, with a 1.4L and 1.8L starter. If I hadn't done it that way, I would have needed at least a 6L starter to get the same cell count. Moral of the story is two smaller starters can make more yeast cells than a single starter of the combined size. It's weird science. :eek: :D

Back