Are yeast temps for ambient air or fermenting liquid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PistolaPete

Reaction score
1) How much warmer is the liquid VS the ambient tempertaure during fermentaion?

2) I would assume as fermation slows down, the liquid starts to cool off again and gets closer to ambient air temps...is this correct?

3) When a yeast description lists preffered temps, is that of ambient air or the actual temp of the fermenting liquid?

If you use a water bath, the ambient temperature is the water temperature. If you have good circulation in the bath, the water and the wort will stay very close to the same temperature.

If I ferment in a carboy on the floor of the bathroom and the bathroom is 63 then the carboy will usually be 68 or even a little higher while at the vigorous period. I found that when I stick the carboy in a 20 gal trash can with water near the same height in both that the temps are within a 1-3 of each other. A couple of 12 oz ice bottles will drop the temp to ambient or even a tad lower.

If you use a water bath, the ambient temperature is the water temperature. If you have good circulation in the bath, the water and the wort will stay very close to the same temperature.

Good addition. This is what i do during the summer.

Back