Pipe smoking, a lost art.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never heard of them. My primary supply is different

If you don’t have a warm and fuzzy about the one you found but they seem decent. I’d recommend first small order and see how that goes.

I’m very happy with the company I buy pipes and tobacco from. But I “proofed” them first.

Dan

I wasn’t going to give out names and not even sure the name I get pipes, tobacco and cigars from won’t get blocked. I’m pretty happy with them for 10 years, maybe longer

Give me a moment. Going to try put up a link

It is

Pipesandcigars.com

Not sure if that’s also

jrcigars.com

Good places. Nice shipping rates too, which is important cause I live in Hawaii

I can't order tobacco online in my state, it's illegal. I have to go down to the only smoke shop I know of that's any good to get my tobacco. I'm limited to what they carry but I do really enjoy the face to face interaction with the proprietor.

Pipes and cigar is my main supplier, but I see some of the brands I get from there a lot cheaper on cigar Bid, providing I win the auction at that price.

I have purchased a great many cigars and humidor accessories from cigarbid with no issues at all. Just be careful to understand their purchasing and shipping window and costs when issuing multiple bids so that you don't have to pay shipping multiple times. The one time I had to deal with their customer service for an order where they actually shipped me more than I purchased, they just let me keep the overage at no additional cost.

Ten year aged Stonehaven anyone?

Attachments

• DSCN0149.JPG
    DSCN0149.JPG
    537.2 KB · Views: 0
Today's first smoke is EMP in an almost 20 year old cob.

Attachments

• DSCN0150.JPG
    DSCN0150.JPG
    537.1 KB · Views: 0
It is

Pipesandcigars.com

Not sure if that’s also

jrcigars.com

Good places. Nice shipping rates too, which is important cause I live in Hawaii
Interesting find! Pipes and tobacco, Cigar bid . Com, and cigar international all list the same address in Bethlehem Pa (1911 Stillman) JR cigars brick and mortar store is about a two hour drive from here.

I'm a huge fan of smokingpipes.com

It's one of the few places I can occasionally restock on some of the harder to find blenders like, Esoterica, Sam Gawith, Rattray's, or Frybourg and Treyer.

Virginia pipe tobacco's have always been my favorite, and my favorite blender went belly up. McClelland, an American blender.

Not a pipe smoker, but I found this in a box of my grandfathers old stuff. It's made out of some type of plastic-clay and apparently someone in the 60's took the time to knit a particularly hideous looking covering for the base of the pipe. The bowl in it is about 2' inches deep.

100_4598.jpg
Hi!
Two scenarios to follow

Either it’s a plastic recreation or meerschaum

There is a big difference. I’m inept at the explanations so will quote. Not my words

“Meerschaum is one of the most naturally porous substances in the world, which makes it perfect for pipes as it absorbs the tars, oils, and nicotine in tobacco. This allows for a cool, dry smoke that most smokers would say is unparalleled.”

A good briar pipe, well seasoned and taken care of smokes well.

Dr Grabo’s are inexpensive pipes but won’t generally burn your tongue and don’t need much breaking in. The doc knows best.

Anything with sea foam will smoke cool and the pipe night be a bit brittle

Also have to note there are many, many pipe tobacco types available.

There is no true answer which on is the best because it’s based on your own palate. An individual desire.

That’s your choice.

Hi!
Two scenarios to follow

Either it’s a plastic recreation or meerschaum

There is a big difference. I’m inept at the explanations so will quote. Not my words

“Meerschaum is one of the most naturally porous substances in the world, which makes it perfect for pipes as it absorbs the tars, oils, and nicotine in tobacco. This allows for a cool, dry smoke that most smokers would say is unparalleled.”
There was a pipe (name escapes me now) in the 60s that touted "space age materials" in the bowl. It wasn't Teflon, but might have been a precursor material to the tiles on the Space Shuttle. The liner focused the heat back toward the packed tobacco and burned exceptionally clean, hot enough to burn off tar, etc.

The exterior bowl remained cool throughout, as did the smoke draw oddly enough, and there was no 'coking' residue left behind. You could clean it with a quick rinsing along with your dinner dishes.

I had one for awhile, but it was really more of a novelty item typical of the outer space mystique of the time.

There was a pipe (name escapes me now) in the 60s that touted "space age materials" in the bowl. It wasn't Teflon, but might have been a precursor material to the tiles on the Space Shuttle. The liner focused the heat back toward the packed tobacco and burned exceptionally clean, hot enough to burn off tar, etc.

The exterior bowl remained cool throughout, as did the smoke draw oddly enough, and there was no 'coking' residue left behind. You could clean it with a quick rinsing along with your dinner dishes.

I had one for awhile, but it was really more of a novelty item typical of the outer space mystique of the time.
Are you thinking of The Pipe or The Smoke?

https://pipedia.org/wiki/Super-Temp

I'm a huge fan of smokingpipes.com

It's one of the few places I can occasionally restock on some of the harder to find blenders like, Esoterica, Sam Gawith, Rattray's, or Frybourg and Treyer.

Virginia pipe tobacco's have always been my favorite, and my favorite blender went belly up. McClelland, an American blender.
A bit of nit-picking on my part, but McClelland closed up shop. They were still a successful business, but could no longer source high-sugar red Virginia tobaccos that met their unique requirements. Plus, the guy who made all of their tobacco, Mike McNeil, was ready to call it a day after years and years of hard work. They were offered significant sums to purchase the business, but preferred that the McClelland end with their ownership.
Anyone buy from cigarbid.com? They have pipes and pipe tobacco, Borkum Riff for a Buck a bag right now
They are owned by the same company as pipesandcigars.com, I have generally seen better prices buying from their sister company.

Been looking for a pipe tobacco that taste like a good cigar. Haven’t found one. Finally decided if I want good cigar flavor, just open my humidor and smoke a good cigar.

I haven’t found a cigar that taste like a pipe and vice versa.
There aren't any. McClelland had one that was OKish. Generally speaking, the crossovers don't work. The Stillwell pipe tobacco cigars aren't great, overpriced, and don't taste like pipe tobacco. Pipe tobacco blends with cigar leaf tend to be best when the cigar leaf is condimental, rather than the star.

I am late to the party, but have always wanted to try both Pipe and Cigars. I only smoked cigs for a very short time in high school and college. I enjoyed the buzz and all the cool kids were doing it. LOL I found myself hating the aftermath of it though. Tried chewing tobacco to, yuck. That was gross. I did some research on "beginner" cigars, but not sure I want to take the plunge as if I enjoy it, that's another vice I have to explain to the wife. LOL. But heck, if you enjoy it, why not, right?

Yeah I was always told to "clean" but not scrape a new pipe because you want that cake layer to build up and act as insulation. No one in my family smoked cigars or pipes but they still always made my feel "at home" for some reason.
It's always a great idea to clean your pipe using a pipe cleaner immediately after smoking, while the pipe is still moist inside. This is just the mouthpiece and shank, however. As for cake, with a new pipe, especially with the rare pipe without a factory- or artisan-applied carbon bowl coating, it's a good idea to let the cake build to protect the briar.

Back