Taiwan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would suggest you just use the forumosa.com site to find places with supplies and interested english-speakers. Then post back here with your gear/ingredients for advice.
I know some of the larger restaurant equip / hardware stores in Taitung had burners, kettles and such. Some of the larger dry-goods stores had bagged grains. Whether that's usable malt or not will require your own research.

Thanks for the advice. I was hoping to find some more information before i head over to Taiwan so that I know what to bring and what to leave behind.

Situation there varies a lot depends on where you'll be and how long your planning on staying. I had roommates in townhouse. We had a parking area. I had two motorcycles. Some guys had to have a car. Other guys were happy with a bicycle. In Taipei, you'd be hard-pressed to find an apt with room to park a car. People are very friendly and country is nice.

I lived in Taipei for a year (parts of 2010/2011), and I don't think you will have much luck finding homebrew supplies in Taiwan. I wondered the same thing, but most of what I found on Forumosa was ancient postings about some guy who started a homebrew store that went out of business. I never found anything resembling a homebrew store there, and getting any beer other than Asian rice lager required a search.

Ignoring homebrew for a moment if you are looking for good bottled beer in Taipei I would suggest City Super in the basement of Sogo at Zhongxiao Fuxing MRT station as they have lots of imports from England (Fuller's) and Belgium (Chimay, Rochefort) and even a few from the US (a couple from Anchor and Rogue). Hopefully you aren't looking for American IPA as it does not exist in Taiwan (no imports of this style really; Fuller's IPA or Anchor Liberty are as close as it gets). If you want good beer on tap I would suggest Jolly near the Huzhou MRT station. It is a Thai restaurant and they brew their own beer. Their stout and scotch ale are probably their best two varieties.

If you can talk to the guy that run's Jolly he has obviously figured out some way to procure brewing equipment and ingredients, but I'm not sure how willing he will be to talk about it (I never tried). Also his equipment is probably more industrial than normal homebrew equipment.

Home brew is not popular in Taiwan. But it doesn't mean you can't get ingredient at all. I live in Taiwan, we have a small home brew community and have some connections to get ingredients but the price will be a little bit higher than in States (due to oversea shipping and Custom). I put down some info for your reference:

Equipment-wise, most of my gears (90%) are DIY. Spending sometime to hang around wok/kettle/cooking ware market, you can easily get HLT, boiling kettle, burner... etc. But, the fermentor, if you adictive to glass carboy, suggest to bring couples with you. It's difficult to get one here. I don't have glass carboy, I use Coopers fermentor (plastic), it causes off flavor sometime.

Ingredient-wise:
Malt: such as pale, pilsner malt, the base malt, can be easily purchased here in Taiwan (however, it's not as easy as in States). Wheat malt, Vienna, chocolate malt, roast barley, crystal 60, 80, 120, special B... the darker the harder to get.
Hop, if you are moving to Taiwan, I would suggest to bring (in vaccume pack) as many different style as possible. It's difficult to get hop here. Saaz, Helluler, Cascade can be found sometime but others.
Yeast: dry yeast is easy to keep. You can get Safale S-04, S-05, DanStar, Coopers here, if you need other type, bring them yourself. Hard to find liquid yeast, I rarely seen White Lab, Wyeast here. Also due to the climate is not cold enogh to brew lager, so lager yeast is not popular here at all.

hope these help.

Home brew is not popular in Taiwan. But it doesn't mean you can't get ingredient at all. I live in Taiwan, we have a small home brew community and have some connections to get ingredients but the price will be a little bit higher than in States (due to oversea shipping and Custom). I put down some info for your reference:

Equipment-wise, most of my gears (90%) are DIY. Spending sometime to hang around wok/kettle/cooking ware market, you can easily get HLT, boiling kettle, burner... etc. But, the fermentor, if you adictive to glass carboy, suggest to bring couples with you. It's difficult to get one here. I don't have glass carboy, I use Coopers fermentor (plastic), it causes off flavor sometime.

Ingredient-wise:
Malt: such as pale, pilsner malt, the base malt, can be easily purchased here in Taiwan (however, it's not as easy as in States). Wheat malt, Vienna, chocolate malt, roast barley, crystal 60, 80, 120, special B... the darker the harder to get.
Hop, if you are moving to Taiwan, I would suggest to bring (in vaccume pack) as many different style as possible. It's difficult to get hop here. Saaz, Helluler, Cascade can be found sometime but others.
Yeast: dry yeast is easy to keep. You can get Safale S-04, S-05, DanStar, Coopers here, if you need other type, bring them yourself. Hard to find liquid yeast, I rarely seen White Lab, Wyeast here. Also due to the climate is not cold enogh to brew lager, so lager yeast is not popular here at all.

hope these help.

Hi I was wondering if you know where I can get coopers liquid hops cans in Taiwan

Ingredient-wise:

hope these help.

How can I get coopers ingredients here in Taiwan?

Back