Free Light Bulbs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Beere

Deep Six Brewing Co.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
"On Sunday April 22nd (Earth Day), Home Depot will give away 1,000,000 Compact Fluorescent Lightbulbs (CFLs) to customers who visit any U.S The Home Depot store"

Details: http://www6.homedepot.com/ecooptions/index.html?cm_sp=creative-_-homepage-_-hero-_-state1_microsite_ecooptions_04192007&BV_SessionID=@@@@1432223210.1177125011@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccggaddkkdiliklcgelceffdfgidglm.0&pos=p01

Not sure how many they are giving away per person, but I'll take whatever they will give me. We switched all our lightbulbs out last year to CFLs and have gotten quite used to it...

I liken CFL's to what occurred several years ago with paper versus plastic bags. Everybody felt better using plastic shopping bags instead of paper bags because people thought that they were doing something good for the environment by saving trees. Now environmentalists say that plastic bags are a bane on our society, killing all sorts of life. I remember back then that if you asked for paper bags instead of plastic people would look at you like you had two heads! Gee, who knew that trees were a renewable resource!

Now we have CFL's over incandescent bulbs. Little do 'they' tell us that each an every CFL, or any fluorescent light bulb for that matter, requires mercury in order to produce light. How many of these CFL's will just be thrown away in the trash like people are used to doing now with incandescent bulbs? Looks like in a few years the new bane on society will be all the mercury getting into the water table because of all the CFL's in the landfills!

I personally hate the light produced by CFL's, and I only have to wait for a minute or two for the light that I hate to get to full brightness! Screw that! I'll find another way to reduce my carbon foot print.

Thank you Mr. Edison for my evil, fossil fuel wasting, inefficient, inexpensive, reliable, heat producing, environmentalist hated, soft and warm light producing incandescent bulbs, thank you very much!

My apologies if I was being too subtle.

Thanks for the heads up John Beere. I'll be there first thing to get mine.:rockin:
We have switched almost all of our bulbs to CFL's and I will never go back. They use a fraction of the energy and last a LONG time. They are expensive but I get mine at Costco in 6 or 8 packs and they are fairly reasonable. There are some fixtures in my house that went through bulbs about once a month. The CFL's last for years!
I don't mind the light they produce at all. As a matter of fact, I don't even notice the difference any more. I would say the only draw back to them is they don't create instant bright light. They can take a couple seconds to come up to full brightness especially if it's cold like in the garage.
The greatest invention since beer.
I'm so glad I'm no longer wasting my money on incandescent bulbs.

No HD around here, not that I need any more CF right now, but free is good. and CF's are much better than they were 10 years ago. I still use incandescents in a few fixtures where I want to control the brightness. I use a two tube shop light with "sun" bulbs over my desk.

RB - I like the slow start in the bathroom, but it is annoying in the living room.

Back