Pectic Enzyme Usage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got two cans of oregan fruit fermenting in 2 gal of apfelwein. One 2gal batch raspberry & one 2gal strawberry.

I'm expecting some pectic fruit haze.

Can you winemakers tell me how well dry pectic enzyme works? The LHBS has dry, no liquid.

I'm thinking of using it in a tertiary or at bottling. What's the best method of use from your experience?

Do I even need it in this???

Thanks!!

Dry pectic enzyme is great- that's all I use. However, I always use it in primary. I mix up the must, after 12 hours add the pectic enzyme, and then 12 hours later add the yeast.

Sulfites inhibit the pectic enzyme. So I mix the must with Campden, and then 12 hours later add the enzyme. The sulfite inhibits wild yeasts and bacteria, and the pectic enzyme will help break down the pectin.

Yooper Chick,

Do you think it will work with bottling or should I go with a tertiary step or is it too late?

What you do if you where in my shoes?

I never think it's too late! What I would do is see how clear it is, and then rack it when you're ready. If it clears on its own, no need to add anything. If it's not clear, you probably have a pectin haze. Then I would try the pectic enzyme. I wouldn't use it at this point, unless you have to. Sometimes time takes care of alot of problems with wine.

Back