Black Lager recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b767fo

Reaction score
Any recipes out there for a SA Black Lager clone? SWMBO is a big fan (doesn't like brews with too much "bite"). I am brewing a Hefe for her and a bitter red for me.

I can post both extract and all grain if it's wanted. I was getting ready to hit the sack when I posted last night and didn't want to dig them out. I'll put them up when I get home from work today.

Looking for the extract recipe. Drank my first ( california pale ale), have a red bitter in the secondary and a hefe in the primary. Don't think I'm ready to try an AG yet until I have a little more experience.

Here, maybe this is what you are looking for. You may want to try and compare it with others, I'm not sure if it's an accurate representation, I haven't brewed this myself. It's the same as the link to BeerTools that I provided but these are the brewing instructions which couldn't be found on the site.

Sam Adams Black Lager Clone
Brew Type: Extract
Style: American Dark Lager
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Volume: 5.72 gal - Boil Time: 60 min

Brewing Steps Check Time Step
4/9/2007 Clean and prepare equipment.
-- Measure ingredients, crush grains.
-- Prepare Water (5.72 gal total)

-- Steep Specialty Grains
Amount Item Type
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain
0.25 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain

-- Add water to achieve boil volume of 5.72 gal
-- Estimated Pre-boil Gravity is: 1.039 SG with all grains/extracts added
Boil for 60 min Start to Boil
Amount Item Type
6.00 lb Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM) Extract
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80%] (60 min) Hops

50 min into boil Add 1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80%] (10 min)
-- Cool wort to fermentation temperature
-- Add water (as needed) to achieve volume of 5.00 gal
-- Siphon wort to primary fermenter and aerate wort.
-- Add Ingredients to Fermenter
Amount Item Type
1 Pkgs SafLager West European Lager (DCL Yeast #S-23) Yeast-Lager

4/9/2007 Measure Original Gravity: ________ (Estimate: 1.045 SG)
4/9/2007 Measure Batch Volume: ________ (Estimate: 5.00 gal)
4 days Ferment in primary for 4 days at 68.0 F
4/13/2007 Transfer to Secondary Fermenter
7 days Ferment in secondary for 7 days at 68.0 F
4/20/2007 Measure Final Gravity: ________ (Estimate: 1.012 SG)
-- Bottle beer at 60.0 F with 3.8 oz of corn sugar.
4.0 Weeks Age for 4.0 Weeks at 52.0 F
5/18/2007 Sample and enjoy!

EDIT: I'm still a newb at brewing, but check the temperatures for fermentation and aging. I believe they should be lower than the recipe calls for here.

Zythos., thanks for the recipe. IMHO the SA Black Lager is a great example of the style and a tasty beer. I am a little curious about the authors comments on the flavor...specifically the black pils comment which wouldn't really jive with the big malty flavor that I recall of the SA version.

Hopefully it comes out great! I'd like to know how it turns out for you. If it's good, I might try it as my first lager when I have a bit more experience behind me. I like SA black lager myself, it'd be great to be able to brew it or something close to it. Best of luck. :drunk:

EDIT: I just edited the post with the recipe, be sure to read it before brewing. The temperature for fermenting and aging seem a bit too high for lager so adjust accordingly. If someone more experienced could add their insight to this I will make the need corrections to the post.

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I found this one through Google. I am looking for a Samuel Adams Black Lager extract clone. Did anyone ever end up brewing this? Was it close? Is there some other link to the clone that I am missing?

Looks like a good recipe. I was thinking about brewing this for my dad since he likes the Sam version a lot. I lack complete temp control, but i can handle the 68F fermentation, but when it comes to aging could it work at room temp or would a fridge (most likely under 52F) be better?

Latest posts

Back