Cheapest Place for Corny Kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Mojo Rising

Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions here? The cheapest it seems that I can get them is about 109$ with shipping for 4 kegs. Is this a good price?

Seems alright with shipping. I've seen some on Craigslist for $17.50 per, just gotta get lucky I guess with the timing.

I got mine from Keg Connection for about $25 each, shipping included. They're cleaned and reconditioned too and were shipped with pressure in them. Also, they threw in all new replacement O rings. After a month, they're still holding pressure.

I'm happy!

:mug:

i ordered some low priced kegs and had no pressure relief valves. returned them and for a few bucks more got what i wanted elsewhere

I just ordered some from AHBS - we'll see how they are, I think they should arrive today. (Hopefully I'll get home before SWMBO so she doesn't say "Now what the h3ll did you buy now?!?!?!?")

Flyin' Lion said:
Read this link for more ideas:https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=23258&highlight=corny+prices

Remeber that cheaper isn't always better, I recently paid $18 plus shipping per keg and wished I'd have gone with someone selling reconditioned kegs at #30/per.

You get what you pay for.

Yeah, same here. Those $18 kegs really cost me over $40 each after I got through replacing parts, not to mention the cleanup time.

my swmbo cant believe we would pay to ship metal cylinders halfway across the u.s.
(shes never picked one up empty)

Buford said:
Yeah, same here. Those $18 kegs really cost me over $40 each after I got through replacing parts, not to mention the cleanup time.

I would have heeded your advice, but the real reason I ordered from them was the good price on their 3 gal. kegs. That one actually was pretty clean.

I received my AHBS kegs today. They are OK - they are kind of "mutt" kegs, three of the kegs are cornelius (sp?) brand, one Firestone. The lids are firestone, some of the relief valves are firestone, some are spartanburg (even on firestone lid, which is on cornelius keg.) One lid does not have a name or symbol on it. The kegs are ok on the outside, a little dirty, but not bad, what I would expect of a used keg. The insdes are wet, and stink like soda, again, not that I wouldn't expect that. All steel dip tubes, three bent into depression in center, the last has a straight dip tube (pictured). The o-rings were all replaced by AHBS and they have been pressure tested. Here are some pics:

4kegs.jpg

keglid1.jpg

keglid2.jpg

keglid3.jpg

homebrewer_99 said:
The "soda" that's in them is a cleaner that smells like Sprite, but it's not. ;)
I didn't figure that it was soda that was in them, but water from testing/cleaning. They just smell like soda, which as you say, could be the cleaner. I'll still take them apart to clean them out to my liking and sanitize them. I'm not sure if I like the plastic nut assembly on the inside of two of the lids that I got - sanitation nightmare, I'm afraid.

homebrewer_99 said:
Just get a replacement lid.;)

I have several kegs with a different style lid that I have to replace to standardize all the kegs.

All the lids I've ever seen for sale cost almsot as much as a keg. Might as well just buy another keg (or just deal with the fact that your lids are different)

I bought used lids (stated as being the more common Cornelius/Corko pull ring pressure valve) for three of mine instead of more kegs so I could be sure I was getting what I wanted. Those old Firestone pressure releases with the plastic nut are pretty much impossible to find and the ones I had were in terrible shape. The lids did cost nearly as much as a whole used keg, but at least I was guaranteed to get what I was looking for.

i recently bought 10 lids for a little over 40 dollars shipped. most of them were cornelius lids, some firestone, one had a bent bracket holding the bale, but i bent it back. all the pressure relief valves were good, and the lids held pressure when checked on a keg.

I suspect what you got there was a 'great find'--- not a reliable guage of lid prices. Near as I can see lids start around 15 each, plus shipping.

If I could get 10 lids for $40 I'd buy em, for parts if nothing else.

gnef said:
i recently bought 10 lids for a little over 40 dollars shipped. most of them were cornelius lids, some firestone, one had a bent bracket holding the bale, but i bent it back. all the pressure relief valves were good, and the lids held pressure when checked on a keg.
Address please???

kornkob: You are right. They are pricey.

Most of my lids don't even have a pressure release. I suppose this could be scary to people worried about blowing up their kegs, but both my primary and secondary regulators would have to fail for that to happen (I'm not sure they're even capable of passing 50+ PSI to the regulated output since the daiphragm would probably rupture first. If I had pressure reliefs that wouldn't seal anymore, I'd probably cement a cover over it on the inside with devcon/JBweld and call it done.

the pressure relief valves on my kegs work great and the make easy to adjust the pressure,and to dial it in. bought them at adventures in homebrewing in taylor,mi. if the kegs dont have them they install em. said he loses a dollar on each one he installs(boohoo).

I've had no problems using kegs with solid lids. I just push a spare gas connector onto the post if I really need to vent, but I never do. I'm actually glad I have one less point of failure.

I can't really complain because I bought kegs as-is. They did hold pressure, which is all they were guaranteed to do. Just to give you an idea of what you can end up with if you buy as-is non-reconditioned kegs, though:

5923-keg1.jpg

At least they cleaned up well. (These two kegs are not the same ones, just two more from the same batch after cleaning.)

5923-keg2.jpg

Back