Do I need to do a decoction mash ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bru

Reaction score
I received a malt analysis which lists diastatic power at between 350 and 244 - I assume this means its fully modified and a single infusion is all thats needed ? Is that correct or do I need a protien rest ?
(to clarify the analysis detailed three batches which ranged between 350 and 244. The grain Im currently using is listed as 244).
BTW this is from SABMiller Maltsters.

Is that 244-350 lintner? Seems very high but I could be wrong.
I think US 2 row is 170 or something. I would not do a protein rest.
I do single step mashes for all fully modified malts . A protein rest
I think will make the beer thinner, watery.

That might be in Windisch-Kolbach units. It seems way too high to be Lintner. The equivalent in Lintner would be 98, which sounds more reasonable. Many of my malts are around 100 to 120 Lintner.

The conversion is L = (WK + 16) / 3.5

I didn't think the diastatic power really told you much about the degree of modification? Maris Otter is more modified than German Pilsner malt but the Pils malt has higher DP.

I thought you needed to look at the soluble/total nitrogen (or protein) ratios (i.e. Kolbach index).

SAB says unit is WK. 98 Litner as you mentioned.
Do I need a decoction ?

That might be in Windisch-Kolbach units. It seems way too high to be Lintner. The equivalent in Lintner would be 98, which sounds more reasonable. Many of my malts are around 100 to 120 Lintner.

The conversion is L = (WK + 16) / 3.5

It's highly unlikely that you need to do a decoction. You can if you want, I do it sometimes but I haven't done a side-by-side to determine if there is a perceptible difference. If you do want to do a decoction and you are concerned about the protein rest killing the body of your beer you can move your protein rest to 131 deg. F (as recommended in New Brewing Lager Beer for highly modified malts). This will get your saccarification started and break down some of the proteins.

Back