Hop disease

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bh10

Reaction score
Well I went out to my hops today and found this (sorry for the chitty pics), I hope this isnt anything to worry about

IMG00077-20100505-1554.jpg

I have 8 plants 4 differ varieties and this is the only one that looks like this, and two others the leafs are splitting

IMG00078-20100505-1554.jpg

did you fertilize them? it kinda looks like fert. burn to me. these things are hard to diagnose without being there.

The first pic looks like nitrogen burn...

The second I wouldnt worry about till later on. I have plenty that I had the leaves split. For me its normally been some kind of dmg...wind/ animals / weak rhizome. It generally heals itself and doesnt affect anything.

They are new plants so everything can mess with them.

i wouldnt think you could get nitrogen burn from miracle grow unless you used too much concentrate/granules in your mix. could it be too much water?

i wouldnt think you could get nitrogen burn from miracle grow unless you used too much concentrate/granules in your mix. could it be too much water?

Yep it will burn plants. The rhizome has a lot of stored energy and if it puts a new root out and its too cloose to one of those granules it will simply absorb too much nitrogen. I have burned several transplanted plants with Miracle grow...so as a rule of thumb I dont use it till after the plant has had time to establish itself a bit. I have about 100 new rhizomes in the ground. They are about 1' to 2' tall...havent used any fert on them and probably wont till they get about 3' up the bine...and then I only use the organic miracle grow which is more a powder like substance than granules. It works pretty good as last year my first year nuggets went to 30' and I had several ounces from each plant.

Too much water will just yellow the leaves.

However I sprouted cascades this year in my creek with no soil till they were 2' long then planted them in the ground. They sprouted from under 2 inches of water and not a single leaf was yellow. This was an experiment on 4 plants and they are doing better than any of the other 200.

Yes this weekend with Miracle Grow.

For future reference, nitrogen uptake does not really start with hops until well into June in most areas. This is when they are already 10+ feet tall in most areas, if not taller, so keep that in mind next time. No Fert until early-to-mid June

For future reference, nitrogen uptake does not really start with hops until well into June in most areas. This is when they are already 10+ feet tall in most areas, if not taller, so keep that in mind next time. No Fert until early-to-mid June

Ive read the exact opposite many, many times on the this site. Use nitrogen for the vegatative cycle and then back off the nitrogen when the plat begins to flower in July. I, not having a green thumb, find this to be very confusing

Ive read the exact opposite many, many times on the this site. Use nitrogen for the vegatative cycle and then back off the nitrogen when the plat begins to flower in July. I, not having a green thumb, find this to be very confusing

This is true but when your plants are only a few inches tall they are not really at a rapid vegitative growth state. They are still using the nutrients from the rhizome. Most nitrogen that is applied at this point in growth stage will be washed down into the soil profile below the root zone. This time of year you should apply some compost or manure this will act as a slow release fertilizer souce. In Mid june when growth is at the max that is when you should apply synthetic fertilizer like miricle grow if you are going to. Do your self a favor and add a few pounds of compost each year to your hops this will give a fertiliizer source as well as build up the soil quality which will help with the overall health and quality of your crop.

So if Im growing in a full container I would actually remove some the soil thats in there and replace with compost?

Also, if I have established second year plants, is it ok to use fertilizer? Most are over four feet tall.

Thanks! and sorry to hijack

See the issue here?

Most of what is here is example of practice and word of mouth. Randar on the other hand is, in fact, speaking of published reasearched insight.

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/catalog/pdf/fg/fg79-e.pdf

Of interest; "Little nitrogen is taken up with initial growth; only 10% of the total is taken up by early June. Nitrogen uptake occurs rapidly in June and is almost complete by early July"

So, to break this down into a less seasonally geographic sense it is saying that while the bine are climbing little nitrogen is taken in. Once the plants have essentially topped out and begin to leaf out (dry matter) and bloom structures the N uptake is most rapid.

I am not saying that the HBT collective is flat out wrong. I am just saying that it is not always backed by technical fact.

Given that Nirogen is mobile, it makes sense on the large scale to reduce the Nitrogen applications but not eliminate them until the plants approach leaf out.

So if Im growing in a full container I would actually remove some the soil thats in there and replace with compost?

Also, if I have established second year plants, is it ok to use fertilizer? Most are over four feet tall.

Thanks! and sorry to hijack

You can but taht would be pointless after the initial planting. instead you would simply top dress the soil with compost. Maybe an Inch or so depending on the available room in the planter. Trouble is, many assume the planter is to be filled to the rim with soil which leaves no room for top dressings like compost or mulch.

Yes, mulch is effective in containers too.

Yes, mulch is effective in containers too.

Mulch may be even more essential in containers than on the ground. This is because nutrients tend to "wash out" of containers. Watering, rainfalls, etc cause nutrients to leach out. This is exacerbated by the fact that containers usually require more frequent and heavy watering because they are going to be at a higher temperature (less thermal mass) than the ground and are more exposed to elements such as wind in drying them out. So, keeping the soil from drying out quickly and providing slow release of nutrients is perhaps more critical in container growing than in traditional gardening.

As for water I havent been watering just letting the rain take care of that.
Oxygen stress has the same look as nutrient defidciency.

Is the soil bogged?
No its on a hill.
Thanks, like HoppyDaze said, I heard the opposite, but good info, Ill know for now on. :mug:

Back