How Do I Sanitize Fruit Before Addition to Seondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grancru

Reaction score
Two day ago I started a Ken Schramm's "Mambo in your Mouth" multi-berry recipe. I used all the water and honey in the initial mix. OG 1.1

I will be purchasing the fruit over the next couple days and freezing if not already frozen. When I am ready to transfer to secondary onto bagged fruit is there something I should do to sanitize the fruit first?

If I use campden tablets what is the propoer process for disolving them with the fruit before filling the bag and racking onto it? How many tablets?

I never sanitize my fruit before adding it to the secondary. Perhaps if it was freshly picked fruit I might consider it. If you do plan to sanitize, you'll need to crush your campden tabs (get some powdered k-meta -it's cheaper and already in powdered form) sprinkle it on the fruit and stir it in and let it sit for 24 hours before adding it to your secondary.

I just freeze, thaw, mash up the fruit in the bag, then get it into secondary and rack on top.

I don't boil or pasteurize my honey either.

Back