2 AG batches-Now What?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ki-ri-n

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I finally got into AG brewing :ban: I did one batch a week ago and got 49% eff (into the kettle). I then did the same same recipe last weekend and got 75% eff (again, into the kettle). My volumes and temps were fairly spot on. I've been using Brewtarget for all of the temps & quantities. The only thing I changed was the setup on my grain mill. I had assumed the crush wasn't good enough so I tweaked the mill (converted pasta mill) and went at it again. I don't think I want to go any finer on the mill. I think I had enough flour in the crush.

I'm using a 15 gal Ice Cube cooler with a copper manifold as my MLT.

1. Is the first batch going to be worth trying? Guess the only thing I would be out would be the effort in kegging it.

2. When trying to "hit the numbers" in a given recipe, if you know (a head of time) you are going to only get ~75 eff, should you try and compensate at all (larger grain bill ahead of time, adding DME to the boil, adding less sparge water, or boiling off, ect)? If yes, which method is easiest and how do you go about making those calculations?

1. Absolutely. Barring any other issues it should be fine.
2. "Only" 75 isn't a big deal. That's all I get. I get the odd 80 on smaller beers. But anyway, you should hope whatever you get is fairly consistent, as long as it's above 70 you're laughing. I just create my recipes based on 75. The method I would suggest is to make the recipe based on that number, rather than tinkering later. But you should have some DME on hand in case you miss low, which sometimes happens.

Once you have a general efficiency number dialed in (getting close or the same every time) it's easy to build recipes around it. I don't know about brewtarget, but many software programs will allow you to assume a standard eff% and allow you to build recipes with that in mind.

Back