What's your least favorite micro brewery?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard

Reaction score
I think the worst I've ever had was Lancaster Brewing Company in Harrisburg PA. I tried a bunch of their beers on tab at the brewpub, but they all had the same off-flavor, couldn't quite place what it was. Was expecting much better...they suck.

That's a difficult one. Sam Adams hardly qualifies as a Microbrewery, otherwise it would take the top (or bottom?) spot for me. I like their Oktoberfest and the Cranberry Wit from the Longshot pack, but their other beers have generally disappointed me.

I'll probably have to go with Great Divide, although I reserve the right to change my opinion - when I had their beers, my palate was still tuned to the major imports, Koelsch and German Pilsners. I couldn't stand the Titan IPA (way too piney), and their Denver APA was one of the least interesting APAs I have had.

BJs beers are also pretty crappy for the most part.

Sam Adams or Redhook. Had some Boston Lager last weekend and hardly managed to finish the glass. I'm using the rest of the 6-pack to fill my fruit fly traps, but I don't think the flies are even wanting it. The trap with the dregs from a bottle of my Arrogant Bastard clone is pulling in WAY more of the little buggers.

I'm gonna go with Magic Hat, still haven't had a beer from them that I liked. Or Twisted Pine, same thing.

Arbor Brewing.

I've not had a bottle that wasn't overcarbed or a gusher. Don't know why, everyone else on here seems to think they have excellent beer. *shrug*

I'm gonna go with Magic Hat, still haven't had a beer from them that I liked. Or Twisted Pine, same thing.

+1 on Magic Hat - haven't had a beer from them that I like - I don't know why people love that stuff.

I'll disagree on the Red Hook - Thier IPA is pretty good

+1 on Magic Hat - haven't had a beer from them that I like - I don't know why people love that stuff.

The Magic Hat #9 is OK - just OK, nothing specatucalr, but drinkable. I agree with the LongHammer IPA - for $10/12pk, you can't beat it

I think the worst I've ever had was Lancaster Brewing Company in Harrisburg PA. I tried a bunch of their beers on tab at the brewpub, but they all had the same off-flavor, couldn't quite place what it was. Was expecting much better...they suck.

Have to say that the Lancaster Brewing Company actually in Lancaster, PA has some very nice brews on tap. I've sampled all 12 taps in an afternoon and didn't find a 'loser' among them. Most were fine and a couple....actually quite nice. I'm not sure you can say a place 'sucks' just from one visit.

Now, I was actually disappointed in the Bar Harbor Brewing Company in Acadia, Maine. I didn't care for their beers...but that's just me

Locally, its Roots brewing for me. Everything is too hoppy and unbalanced. Too bitter. Nationally, probably Fish Brewing. Haven't had anything palatable from there, except once at a fest.

+1 Their ESB is wonderful as well. Contrary to popular belief, A-B has no sway over Redhook's brewmasters.

My personal worst would be Cave Creek...their chili beer is teh nasty. :(

i cant think of a particular brewery off the top of my head i dont like but...i can think of a beer that pissed me off realy bad. not that it wasn't good, it was great but for 16$ a bottle it was ridiculouse and not worth it. second, i thought the bottle said 22% abv so i bought it just because of that. The writing on the bottle was all the same except for the weird letering on those numbers and you realy had to look at it to tell it was 11%. this beer was the Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Tripel). great beer just a stupid price and dumb lettering for the drunkin eye on the abv.

I've only had bad experiences with Red Hook. Most Rock Bottom locations that I have been to are hit or miss, beer to beer. Sometimes they have three great beers, sometimes two, sometimes four...

Shiner a.k.a. Spoetzl Brewery.

Their flagship bock isn't even close to a true bock and their seasonal beers tend to be below average at best and undrinkable at worst. Saint Arnolds and Real Ale are much better Texas breweries.

Sadly, I'd have to put New Belgium at the bottom. I really like the company, but can't say I like their beer. Not that I've tried all, but I've had:

• Mothership Wit
  • Fat Tire
  • 1554 (actually not too bad)
  • 2 below
  • Sunshine wheat (also not bad)

I guess I'm just underwhelmed, or have yet to acquire the taste. I still buy a sixer every now and then, but can't say I've ever felt like "Damn! Now that is a tasty beer!".

Sadly, I'd have to put New Belgium at the bottom. I really like the company, but can't say I like their beer. Not that I've tried all, but I've had:

• Mothership Wit
  • Fat Tire
  • 1554 (actually not too bad)
  • 2 below
  • Sunshine wheat (also not bad)

Ya, I've always liked New Belgium. Sure, not all of their beers are great, but I love 1554 and their Abbey and Tripel are quite tasty as well. And, I've always enjoyed a Fat Tire when I'm sweatin' balls outdoors in the Texas heat.

Does BJ's count? I need to hold my nose to drink there.

I suppose it depends on which BJ location you're referring to. Do they brew onsite at your location?

The one in San Antonio is contract brewed through Saint Arnolds. Their beer certainly isn't great (same recipe obviously), but I can't say it isn't clean.

I suppose it depends on which BJ location you're referring to. Do they brew onsite at your location?

The one in San Antonio is contract brewed through Saint Arnolds. Their beer certainly isn't great (same recipe obviously), but I can't say it isn't clean.

I've been to three in SoCal that brew on site.

I will say the beer is consistent: consistently bad!

Magic Hat has one REALLY good seasonal beer, Roxy Rolles (a well-balanced but hoppy American amber ale; almost a red-IPA, maybe not quite bitter enough). Exceptional beer, one of my favorites. Other than that, though, the best they do is medicore for stuff like Circus Boy to downright horrid for stuff like that new, beet-juice-infused summer ale I was dumn enough to buy a few weeks back.

Sam Adams, I know they have a few horrid offerings but you've got to give props to what they've done to the homebrew community, the support they offered other craft brewers through the hop crisis, and most of their beers are at the very least quite drinkable. The Black Lager is another beer that I consider exceptional, one of my favorites from ANY brewery large or small. If I had to pick a single beer to drink for the rest of my days, the SA Black Lager would be one that I'd have to think long and hard about.

I would like to chalk up another for Magic Hat. They just do not do it for me! Founders on the other hand, mmmmmmmm!!!!

Most of the bad beers I've had have been ones that I could only find that particular brewery offering, so I can't say that their other beers are not good.

Shipyard Brewing Pumpkinhead is crap
Buffalo Bills Pumpkin ale is crap
Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence is crap (but I've heard great things about the rest of their stuff)
Most Sam Adams beers I like.
Maybe Redhook is better here, because it's fresher? Love their beer. It's on my "cheap" beer list.
Firestone Walker DBA wasn't that great (at least the one I had)

I'll never give a brewery a bad name though, just for one bad beer. Just about every brewery has the occasional woops, or total screw-up that they sell.

It's quite possible that Sam Adams has spent more on you as a home brewer than you have on them.

Maybe. I wish they'd buy me some more glasses though to replace the broken one and the only one I have now that has a crack starting in it.

Yah shipyards pretty ugly stuff.. i sometimes will grab one of there beers thinking it will better..but nope same old blaaa

Most of the bad beers I've had have been ones that I could only find that particular brewery offering, so I can't say that their other beers are not good.
Shipyard Brewing Pumpkinhead is crap
Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence is crap (but I've heard great things about the rest of their stuff)

+100000000 on both of these...

Shipyard Pumpkin - Big Red gum
Ommegang Chocolate - There is chocolate in this?

As far as not living up to the hype:
Fat Tire... I thought this stuff cured cancer and caused world peace? Meh...
DFH World Wide Stout - Hot as HELL... At least the time I tried it...
Magic Hat (anything) - It is technically beer... Hence I will drink it before I would drink soda...
There are a whole lot of others I have tried w/ less than stellar results IMHO... Too druck at the moment to think of all of them...

+100000000 on both of these...

Shipyard Pumpkin - Big Red gum
Ommegang Chocolate - There is chocolate in this?

As far as not living up to the hype:
Fat Tire... I thought this stuff cured cancer and caused world peace? Meh...
DFH World Wide Stout - Hot as HELL... At least the time I tried it...
Magic Hat (anything) - It is technically beer... Hence I will drink it before I would drink soda...
There are a whole lot of others I have tried w/ less than stellar results IMHO... Too druck at the moment to think of all of them...

So what you're saying is you want me to bring a case of Fat Tire this weekend.

Shiner sucks, magic hat is horrid. Except for roxy rolles.

There's a local brewpub near me that I've been to once and their beer was horrid. I'm willing to give one more try before they're on that list.

I'm fortunate to have four microbreweries local to me ... three of them are really good, and one of them has a really nice porter but everything else I've had from them has the same funky unpleasant flavor, like they need to toss out their yeast and start over or something. (Well, that's probably enough to identify the one I'm talking about to the locals.)

Now, I was actually disappointed in the Bar Harbor Brewing Company in Acadia, Maine. I didn't care for their beers...but that's just me

+1

I was up there a few years ago and hated everything I tried of theirs.

I would have to add a vote for Red Hook also.

I had my pick locally it would be Troegs. I have tried so many different beers form them and there is none that I would buy a 12 or 24 pack of. Sam Adams Boston Lager is not a favorite of mine either for a well known and highly advertised beer. I try to put them down, but it almost requires a chaser.

Being from York, PA, I am surprise that the initial post was about Lancaster Brewing Company. They have some really bad beers, but there Hop Hog, Milk Stout, and Strawberry I think are good. If you come back out this way I have found my favorite brewery in Lancaster and that is Iron Hill. If you are into wheat beers, the summer time is heaven in there. They have a great Raspberry Wheat and about 6 or 8 other wonderful wheat beers. I tried there whole selection of about 20 beers and only 2 did I not like.

Magic Hat has good and bad beers. I just got a sampler from them and they were decent. I like there #9, but there Lucky Kat, I can not even get down. I drank 2 and gave the other 4 away to a friend. I also like there Wacho, Notion, and Circus Boy.

Maybe Redhook is better here, because it's fresher? Love their beer. It's on my "cheap" beer list.

Totally agree. Maybe it just doesn't travel well. ;)

I've been drinking their brews since '85 and talked with the brewers many a time...still a great brewery despite their stock-for-distribution agreement with A-B. They still have their own completely independent breweries and brewmasters.

A great place to visit if you're ever in Woodinville, WA! :D

we have the redhook sister brewery in NH..its identical construction to the one in the NW... it about 40 min away from were i live...there are to main stream now or not so micro...i think alot of there product are riding the coat tales of AB, but i do find the IPA agreeable

Back